Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Other Poker > Stud

Old 06-23-2005, 04:18 PM

Default William Chen playing 20-40 with me

Last night when beermoney left the 1 seat in the 20-40 we were in together I got to play with a world class player in William Chen. His screen name on party (as it is on all sites he plays on) is wchen. For those of you that dont know him he was ranked on Sklanskys list of the "smartest poker players in the world". Oh ya, and he was ranked #1! I got to jokingly tease him about that and ask him a few questions about stud and his thoughts on hold'em. He was very nice and answered them all. He told me he just was playing to get some practice for the stud WSOP. He played for about two hours and I wanted to give him a bad beat, but he only played like one hand. I posted the hand he played below. As you can see I (hero) folded but Chen told me what he had after the hand. Guesses welcome.

Mike Emery

7 Card Stud High ($20/$40), Ante $2, Bring-In $5
(hand converter)

3rd Street - (0.60 SB)

Seat 1: xx xx 2[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]___brings-in___raises___calls
Seat 3: xx xx 9[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]___calls___folds
Seat 4: xx xx Q[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]___calls___raises
Hero: 6[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] K[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] J[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]___folds
Seat 7: xx xx 8[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]___completes___calls
Seat 8: xx xx 3[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]___folds

4th Street - (9.85 SB)

Seat 1: xx xx 2[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] 4[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]___raises___calls
Seat 4: xx xx Q[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] 8[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]___bets___raises
Seat 7: xx xx 8[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] 7[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]___calls___calls

5th Street - (9.43 BB)

Seat 1: xx xx 2[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] 4[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] A[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]___raises
Seat 4: xx xx Q[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] 8[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] 2[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]___folds
Seat 7: xx xx 8[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] 7[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] 7[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]___bets___calls

6th Street - (13.43 BB)

Seat 1: xx xx 2[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] 4[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] A[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] 9[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]___bets
Seat 7: xx xx 8[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] 7[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] 7[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] 5[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]___checks___folds

Total pot: (13.43 BB)
Old 06-23-2005, 05:08 PM

Default Re: William Chen playing 20-40 with me

My guess is 2xAc2c. Wild guess, I know. [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]
Old 06-23-2005, 05:31 PM

The only hand he could have on fourth is kings or aces. He wouldn't race kings on fifth against an obvious two pair, so I'd say he had aces and made trips.
Old 06-23-2005, 05:47 PM

pocket aces, rolled up dueces.
Old 06-23-2005, 05:59 PM

I doubt he will give his monster hand away so easily on 3rd with rolled 2s. It's all the more unlikely given a dead 2.
Old 06-23-2005, 06:35 PM

Chen used to post a lot of good stuff on RGP if I recall correctly. Haven't played with him online since the old heyday of Paradise.

Seems like buried aces to me in this hand.
Old 06-23-2005, 06:54 PM

Default PS

Did he really only play 1 hand in 2 hours? I hope the ante structure is tight as heck in the WSOP...
Old 06-23-2005, 08:44 PM

pocket aces seem consistent. Maybe... [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]
Old 06-23-2005, 09:51 PM

I played Stud High against billy chen a few yeaars ago. It was a team tourney at BARGE . I started calling him Machine gun after he machine gunned half of his teams chips off in one 15 minute round. Billy is a game theory expert so his range of hands could be large. I also sweated billy a few days ago at the WSOP stud hi lo event where he drove two players all in with open 5's. they chopped up his checks at the showdown. His hand was a pair of 5's K hi.

I could say billy was on at least a middle pair there with a decent redraw. But I could be wrong.

timmer
Old 06-23-2005, 10:24 PM

I would just like to point out that the smartest poker player plays stud.

Also, I could see him playing his very live flush draw this way- assuming he is a respected commodity in the 20/40 circles.