Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Mid-, High-Stakes Pot- and No-Limit Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05-17-2005, 01:28 AM

Default 50-100 shorthanded AA hand.

4 handed on UB. I have AsAh on button. UTG opens for 350. I call, BB tags along. 6s6d4s flop. BB leads for 1100, UTG folds. BB has 10500 left, I have him covered. BB is overaggro to the point of being bad. I have only been playing for a couple of orbits and am a relative unknown to the other players. I thought raising here was best. Thoughts?

- Evan
Old 05-17-2005, 01:38 AM

Default Re: 50-100 shorthanded AA hand.

I'm only a 2/4 nl full ring player with little shorthanded experience. What is raising here going to accomplish? This is a way ahead or way behind situation. If he has an overpair it's possible he'll bet the rest of his chips if he is over aggressive as you describe.
Old 05-17-2005, 01:48 AM

i obviously know who you are referring to, and knowing that he will bet pot 90% of the time after raising preflop and also he likes to bluff you til the end i would flat call him here and let him give his $ to you.

However, I think I would raise him preflop, because if you saw my AA hand vs him he is easy to stack off, even if he's got junk in the trunk.
Old 05-17-2005, 01:48 AM

This player is aggressive enough that if I get my money in on the flop Ill be ahead a good portion of the time. His possible hand range is pretty large. 57, spade draws, smaller overpairs, 6's, etc. My reasoning was that if I just call, there are a hell of a lot of cards Im not going to like on the turn. But Im not all that enthusiastic about raising either. Anyone else?

Evan
Old 05-17-2005, 01:51 AM

[ QUOTE ]
UTG opens for 350. I call, BB tags along.

[/ QUOTE ]
Old 05-17-2005, 01:51 AM

Yea I did see yours, nh. If he was the pfr raiser I would have popped it back up, he was the bb though. I think a flat call might freeze him up on the turn if he doesnt hit to beat ne, but Im not sure. Ill also be in the position of guessing if I do that and a spade or straight card or a 4 falls.

-Evan
Old 05-17-2005, 01:52 AM

[ QUOTE ]
I'm only a 2/4 nl full ring player with little shorthanded experience. What is raising here going to accomplish? This is a way ahead or way behind situation. If he has an overpair it's possible he'll bet the rest of his chips if he is over aggressive as you describe.

[/ QUOTE ]

I think the purpose of a raise here is to try and define BB's hand, calling here would give little information about BB's hand, since BB is so overaggro he could be betting just about anything, including another overpair, a six, a boat, a flush draw/straight draw, or total air.

And there's alot of cards on could come on the turn that you really don't like and make calling a big bet against aggro BB that much tougher, given his range of hands.

Although I admit, I'm not sure what I'd do, if BB just calls or comes over the top of the flop raise. I think that depends largely on the table dynamics at the the time and how much BB is backing down to resistance.
Old 05-17-2005, 01:52 AM

How can people be so bad and are playing 50/100?

Must be one of those celebrity poker players....
Old 05-17-2005, 01:53 AM

I like thatwacokid's line. His style of play will basically allow you to stack him off by the river. If you raise, is he aggro enough to push with spades? He knows his table image he gives off, he might take it as you're trying to re-steal perhaps. This limit is too high for me though, so my line of reasoning might be off. But I believe check-calling is best, perhaps a raise off the turn if a brick hits and you feel more confident with your hand.
Old 05-17-2005, 01:55 AM

now that I think about it, even he might be scared of a smooth call on that flop to the point where he checks on the turn. From what I've seen from him, if you raise here he will still call with a gutshot, as I've seen him do 2 or 3 times tonight.

Raising or calling might work here, it really depends on what he has, which could be any 2 cards. Either way, this situation is way way +EV.