Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Micro-Limits
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 04-14-2005, 04:06 PM

Default Re: KQs hand - Learn from my mistake

I would raise, you have top pair good kicker. You have club draw, and you want to try and get the lmp out incase he has a draw, make him face two cold again.
Old 04-14-2005, 08:36 PM

I'm glad you mentioned LMP, though I had something else in mind (and I screwed up posting my read of him; he had streaks of aggression post-flop, but had not 3-bet pre-flop in about 5 hours). LMP, though he only called along after the flop, was my primary opponent in this hand.

A huge mistake was not raising the turn. LMP's 3-bet preflop and cold-call on the flop is strongly leaning toward AA or KK, with AK a much less likely possibility. If he has AA, my best chance of taking down this pot is to drive him out.

I'm not too worried about SB at this point, either she has a hand or not; either she'll catch a draw or not. Regardless, she's going to at least see the river. I can't do anything about her, but I can use her to drive out LMP. I grabbed a stack of chips and brought them out knowing that I needed to raise the turn. Tilt-induced pessimism made me think too much about SB already having two pair or better, and I only dropped off eight chips in the middle rather than 16.

Once I screwed the pooch on the turn, I'm not sure if any newfound aggression would have driven LMP out on the river, but for one more bet it was worth it to try to win this nice pot. When he didn't raise the turn, I was 90% sure he had AA, so calling the river was the worst possible choice. I was just donating to a pot that I was sure I couldn't win without a raise.

SB-LAG turns over Q9 for the missed gutshot, and LMP loudly proclaims that he almost folded the flop as he flips over AA. I think most people would peel one off here, unable to let go of AA that easily, but after I raise preflop, flop, and turn, maybe he puts me on KK and dumps it then.

So my mistakes were playing at all when I was not in the correct mood; continuing to play when I knew I was even further below the sub-par standard I'd started the day with; and specifically, playing this hand like a a weak-tight wuss because of tilt.

PS I didn't leave after this hand. I donated another 12BB or so over the next few orbits, then left--and caught an ear full for being gone all day. Good times.
Old 04-14-2005, 08:41 PM

Raise this turn, you want to keep up the aggression because you probably have SB beat and you should want to knock LMP out of this pot because it seems like a pretty good size pot by now. If you're re-raised by SB then just call her down, and if LMP raises I say call him down too (because you don't have a complete line on his play yet so I think a fold is out of the question).
Old 04-14-2005, 08:44 PM

This is a 100% standard raise, no?
Old 04-14-2005, 08:45 PM

Oops I saw the flush draw and then forgot about it while I was writing my reply so of course a fold is out of the question even if you did have a line on LMP and were raised. In fact, if both players were coming along a re-raise may even be in order because I think you may have a pot equity edge. Just wanted to put this before someone started yelling at me (which is good by the way because it makes us all better). [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]