Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Internet Gambling > Internet Gambling

Old 10-13-2004, 01:54 AM

Default Re: Wife visited a palm reader today.

I would find it impossible to have a meaningful relationship with anyone who takes psychics seriously.

-SmileyEH
Old 10-13-2004, 02:15 AM

[ QUOTE ]
How many winning multi-million dollar lottery tickets has this psychic cashed?

If the answer is zero, that should be your first clue...

[/ QUOTE ]

I think the OP was also saying "send your wife to a psychic and then she'll leave you alone wrt poker." And if that works with your wife, then I think maybe you need a new wife. Unless she's really hot.
Old 10-13-2004, 02:33 AM

</font><blockquote><font class="small">In risposta di:</font><hr />
What do you guys feel about physicics

I think Daryn is studying physics.

Lori

[/ QUOTE ]

i graduated. i'm officially a genius now.

the thing i don't get about psychics, ... why don't they just pick winning powerball numbers.
Old 10-13-2004, 08:53 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
What do you guys feel about physicics

i graduated. i'm officially a genius now.

the thing i don't get about psychics, ... why don't they just pick winning powerball numbers.

[/ QUOTE ]

Come on Daryn being a self-professed genius you should know better than anyone.....in this line of work it is not about the money ...people who choose this path are more concerned about helping people with their self doubt/problems. [img]/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img]
Old 10-13-2004, 09:12 AM

[ QUOTE ]
How many winning multi-million dollar lottery tickets has this psychic cashed?

If the answer is zero, that should be your first clue...

[/ QUOTE ]

Psychic Reader: "What is your name?"
Customer: "You tell me, you're the psychic!"

You may laugh, but that type of exchange is not uncommon and there lies the nub of the belief among many. That being labeled as a "psychic", "medium", "clairvoyant" or variations on that theme, apparently endows the holder with the capabilities of all seeing and all knowing about everything, including past, present and future. A bit like a "spiritual slot machine" - you put in your coin, ask a question and out pops the answer!

I'm sorry to disillusion those who hold those beliefs, but if "psychics" really knew everything about everyone, that had ever been or ever will be, not only would they know next week's winning lotto numbers, but they would probably be sipping cool drinks on the beach of their own private islands, watching the progress of their share portfolios, and not working on readings for other people. Although life on Fantasy Island would have some down side - watching a film or reading a book wouldn't have the same enjoyment because they'd know the ending, but they might invent new pastimes - such as telling people the score of the football final just as the game started!

The other pole of belief is that held by the skeptics. "If I can't see it, hear it, touch it, smell it or eat it then it's a load of bunkum". Governed by five senses, anything from the "sixth" just doesn't exist for them. Funnily enough, their arguments are usually along the lines of "if psychics could tell the future, then they'd know next weeks lotto numbers and they'd be basking on a beach....".

The truth of course lies somewhere in between these two poles of view.

For a start, let's get one thing clear - everyone has some psychic ability, even skeptics! Some people use it and aren't aware of it - they put things down to a "hunch", "feminine intuition" or "co-incidence". Some people have become so wrapped up in work/home/fear/money/problems, that they have blocked themselves to anything outside of their own little treadmills. Some people have strong psychic ability but hide it for fear of what others might think, especially if it conflicts with their religious beliefs.

However, some people use it and are aware of it, cultivate it and nurture it. These are ordinary people who have allowed their psychic awareness to develop, to varying degrees. Small children are often very "psychic", until they have been told too often that their "imaginary friend" isn't real or maybe they've been smacked for telling lies because they knew something that no rational adult could explain. It doesn't take long for a child to learn the rules of conformity and avoid punishments for demonstrating "difference".

Old 10-13-2004, 09:18 AM

Penn and Teller had a funny show on Showtime about exposing "psicics." it was pretty good, but I don't know what it was called. Maybe a psicisyshic can tell me. bwahahaha.

-AA
Old 10-13-2004, 09:55 AM

Did "Jimmy" catch on to your weakness for the "pleasures of the palm"?
Old 10-13-2004, 12:43 PM

[ QUOTE ]

The truth of course lies somewhere in between these two poles of view.

[/ QUOTE ]

All very convenient. So given that even the psychic appologist quoted above admits these "psychic powers" are completely unreliable, exactly how is it in any way ethical to charge people money for this "psychic advice"?

If a contractor admitted that most of the time when he builds a house, it falls down shortly thereafter how long would he stay in business? Exactly how many psychics preface their "readings" by admitting, "My powers are flaky, there's a 90% chance everything I'm about to tell you is crap".

Amazing how psychic powers work so well when it comes to generalising about people's love lives or common illnesses in families, but completely fail at anything practical like lottery numbers or football scores.

Cold reading is the technique of saying little general things and watching a persons reactions. As one goes from very general to more specific things, one notes the reaction and uses it as a guide to find out what to say. Also there are stock phrases that sound like statements but are really questions. If these subtle questions evoke answers, these answers are used as a basis for the next round of statements.

Many people get involved in various things like this because of their interest in the usual things, health, love, sex, etc. One can develop a set of stock questions and statements that will elicit positive responses from 90% of your 'clients'.

In the hands of an expert, these simple techniques can be frightening almost. But they are simple things. Of course a paintbrush and a canvass are simple things too. It all depends on skill and talent for these things.

One can learn these things coldbloodedly knowing them as the tricks they are, or as probably most use them, learned at the feet of other practitioners as it were by rote, and developed by practice and adapted to the tastes of the reader and his or her sitters. As skeptics have pointed out, it is the best cold readers that make the best Tarot Readers, Astrologers, Palm Readers, or what have you.

If your library is lucky enough to have it, check The Zetetic, (later renamed Skeptical Inquirer), Vol. 1, #2 Summer 1977 "Cold Reading: How to convince strangers you know all about them" by Ray Hyman. This was later republished in The Elusive Quarry, which should be quite a bit easier to find.

These techniques are not confined to the occult world by any means. Religious workers, salesmen and the like use the principles to build rapport with people.

http://www.arches.uga.edu/~skepticx/skep_0.html
Old 10-13-2004, 03:41 PM

People are meantioning generalised guesses a lot. 'Everyone is playing poker these days' etc.

If this were true you'd be hearing 90% of people who visit psychic's saying they said nothing right. Less than 5% of people play poker, so the chances the psychic hits it right are the same as you hitting your set on the turn.

Moreso, in my personal experience of listening to people who have visited them they have all been corrected, so if they are general guesses they have guessed right 4 times now, for a (1/10)^4 chance (1/10 comes from the 10% of the population who play poker/have an ill family member etc).

The events i've heard of and watched happen have all been a lot less than 10% shots. Say it was a 1/500 shot, that's 499 pissed off customers before she gets one right, they wouldn't have any business at all.
Old 10-13-2004, 03:48 PM

the thing i don't get about psychics, ... why don't they just pick winning powerball numbers

You should hear the bad beat stories they tell.

Lori