Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Tournament Poker > One-table Tournaments
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-20-2004, 07:36 PM

Default Short-stack all-in

This hand I wasn't sure about, and may have been tilting after a series of suckouts by the chip leader.

Party Poker Limit Hold'em Tourney, Big Blind t100 (5 handed)

Button (t6075)
SB (t102)
BB (t755)
Hero (t170)
MP (t898)

I don't think the hand results are all that important (I lost), but I'm wondering about going all-in in the first place.

As it turns out, three players went out this same hand. SB was down to 105 and called with an Ace. BB had QTs and went out with QQ on the board when he was out-kicked. If I had folded I would have backed into 3rd place. I figured if I didn't go all in with a hand that at least had straight and flush draw capabilities, I was all-in next hand anyway from the BB.

Given that one other player is severely short-stacked and two others are one hand from elimination, would you play 87s UG or pray for a better hand in your blind?
Old 09-21-2004, 01:00 AM

Default Re: Short-stack all-in

Fold. SB is allin for sure, so you can't get the hand heads-up, and it is vaguely possible one of the medium stacks might do something stupid and get taken out. 87s is not a good hand to go allin with. You want a high card. See what shows up in the BB.
Old 09-21-2004, 01:39 AM

Default Re: Short-stack all-in

its a fantastic game where you can expect one of the medium stacks to suicide before you face the blinds

i dont like pushing in this spot without a legitimate hand because the SB always calls - i dont think 87s is a terrible hand to push with - if the SB was similarly stacked to the other mid stacks i think it would be an ok push

stripsqueez - chickenhawk