Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > General Poker Discussion > Books and Publications

Old 07-15-2004, 03:59 PM

Default Small Stakes Hold \'em will NOT be in your local Barnes and Noble today

Hi,

I just wanted to make sure everyone is clear on this, because I've gotten a couple of disappointed emails already today.

Today, July 15th, the book is still BEING PRINTED. The very first finished books should be available TO MASON either today or tomorrow (assuming there are no hiccups in the printing).

The next step, which should begin to happen either tomorrow or early next week, is Mason distributes these first books to retailers. The first copies will go to ConJelCo and ProfessionalPoker.com, the two outlets offering pre-orders. Then Mason will send boxes of books to other retailers who have ordered them, including Borders.

Barnes and Noble has a different process for approving books from small presses than Borders, so they will get their books later still.

So the timeline (as I understand it... Mason is obviously more of an authority than I am, but I'm stepping in because he's busy at the printer) is roughly:

Today-Monday: Mason gets copies of the book from the printer
Tomorrow-Tuesday: Mason delivers copies of books to ConJelCo and ProfessionalPoker.com (and they will ship them to people promptly, but due to the volume of orders, it might take a day or two)
Next Week-Week after that: Mason ships books to retailers including Borders and Amazon.

Obviously, Mason will ship the books to a Borders warehouse, and then the Borders people are responsible for getting the books from that warehouse to each retail store. So give them some time to do that as well.

So I'd expect to see people who pre-ordered get their copies sometime next week, and then copies in Borders sometimes in the two weeks after that.

So don't run out to Barnes and Noble today, expecting to pick up a copy. Hope no one is too disappointed, and I also hope you guys understand the timetable now.

(BTW, don't believe what the "guy at the Borders" tells you. Apparently he is sort of clueless... [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img] )
Old 07-15-2004, 07:23 PM

Default Re: Small Stakes Hold \'em will NOT be in your local Barnes and Noble today

Any chance we could get a post after IT has been delivered to Gambler's General Store and Gambler's Book Club?
Old 07-15-2004, 07:26 PM

Default Re: Small Stakes Hold \'em will NOT be in your local Barnes and Noble today

Any chance we could get a post after IT has been delivered to Gambler's General Store and Gambler's Book Club?

I'm not in Vegas right now, so unfortunately I can't go check. So your best hope of getting this info is from Mason.
Old 07-15-2004, 07:28 PM

I know Barnes & Noble(in the Buffalo area) won't put the book on their shelves until the 28th.
Old 07-15-2004, 07:40 PM

[ QUOTE ]

So the timeline (as I understand it... Mason is obviously more of an authority than I am, but I'm stepping in because he's busy at the printer) is roughly:

[/ QUOTE ]

Being a computer guy I get a mental picture of Mason sitting at his desk printing copies of the book on an old Deskjet. Yikes! No wonder they don't have them at Borders this week.

[img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]
Old 07-15-2004, 07:53 PM

I work in the receiving dept. of a B&N here in Boston, and I felt inclined to look for the book in the back room today, knowing full well that it wouldn't be there. In fact, it seems that we don't even have it "on order," and there is no price available. Obviously I had the good sense to pre order it from conjelco, but the discout would have been nice.

Anyway, the point is I've already been hyping the book up to a few other poker playing employees, who will in turn (hopefully) hype it up and sell it like crazy out on the book floor. I've done all I can do, it's out of my hands.
Old 07-15-2004, 08:16 PM

Better to go straight to the hand that feeds you. [img]/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img]

I called B&N in Buffalo today just out of curiousity(I preordered)and they told me it was ordered, had not been received, and they could not be put it on the shelf until the 28th. Then they asked me if I'd like to reserve a copy. Ha!
Old 07-15-2004, 11:50 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I've done all I can do

[/ QUOTE ]

and what exactly is that??

spread the gospel of Ed (and help him earn some well-deserved income)??
OR
try to ruin the games in your area??

sorry Ed....but the only people that i'm talking to about this book are of the non-poker playing variety.

i hope you do very well with this of course.
but i don't want my opponents actually learning how to play.

i'm not really that concerned of course. i've done my part (by purchasing a copy) and don't really think THAT many more players will improve their game THAT dramatically via this book. a few semi-studious types might escape non-fish status...but i am hopeful the shark-to-fish ratio won't be too dramatically affected by SSHE.

if my local 4/8 game gets rock-tight with a bunch of Miller-ites though i'm going to have a word or two with you.
Old 07-15-2004, 11:57 PM

if my local 4/8 game gets rock-tight with a bunch of Miller-ites though i'm going to have a word or two with you.

You can have all the words you want, but if someone doesn't buy me a beer first, I can't promise that I'll be listening. [img]/images/graemlins/tongue.gif[/img]
Old 07-16-2004, 01:49 AM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

If you want it that urgently and you dont mind a second hand copy i'll send you mine in the morning.