Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Micro-Limits
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12-20-2003, 02:26 AM

Default A2s MP

Party Poker 0.50/1 (10 handed)
Hero has 2[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img], A[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] and is MP1

EP1 limps, Hero limps, MP2 limps, Button folds, SB limps, UTG checks

I usually don't like to play A2s this early, and I can't remember why I did in this instance. Part of my problem is I don't have a solid set of standards about when/where/if to play Axs and Kxs. I'll usually play A9s early, but something like A2s gets relegated to MP3 or thereabouts. Anyway...

Flop(5 SB): 4[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img], A[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img], 2[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]

SB checks, UTG checks, EP1 checks, Hero bets, MP2 raises, SB folds, UTG folds, EP1 folds, Hero 3-bets, MP2 caps, Hero calls

When MP2 raised I was thinking he had AK or AQ, and was looking forward to extorting some money from him. He is new at the table, but hasn't done anything crazy, so I don't peg him as a bluffer or maniac. But when he capped, I started thinking he flopped a set.

Turn(9 BB): T[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]

Hero checks, MP2 bets, Hero calls

River(11 BB): 7[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]

Hero checks, MP2 bets, Hero calls

MP2 shows A[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img], T[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]

He raised and capped the flop with top pair and a Ten kicker? Is this just one more reason not to play A2s this early?
Old 12-20-2003, 02:59 AM

Default Re: A2s MP

yeah, i don't think i would limp with this hand in middle position unless three people limped in before me (or two and it was a traditionally loose/passive lineup).

how you play this on the turn depends on the opponent. i would still probably bet out on the turn and slow down only if he raises me again.
Old 12-22-2003, 05:25 AM

Default Please correct me if I\'m wrong

Quote: I'll usually play A9s early, but something like A2s gets relegated to MP3 or thereabouts.

Wouldn't A2s be a slight fav over A9s preflop because of the straight possibility. Either way you have the nut flush.

I am still learning so please correct me if I am wrong
Old 12-22-2003, 05:37 AM

Default Re: Please correct me if I\'m wrong

A9s is a better hand than A2s:

A9s vs. A2s
Old 12-22-2003, 06:05 AM

In addition to simply being better for having far more high-card value, wouldn't A9s actually make more straights than A2s, since the 9 has maximum stretch as opposed to A2, which can only make a straight with KQJT or 345? Granted, A9s will never use both cards to make a straight, but then again, A2s will never make a nut straight either.
Old 12-22-2003, 06:05 AM

Default Re: Please correct me if I\'m wrong

A9 is CLEARLY a way better hand heads up. I'd argue you're almost as likely to make second best with the 9 as the 2, and the wheel can make some seriously big pots...I dunno.

I'm probably COMPLETELY wrong, but as long as you have the discipline to hit the ace and still fold, I odn't tihnk you're doing too bad with A2 rather then a9.
Old 12-22-2003, 10:54 AM

Just to be clear, UTG = EP1, not BB.
Old 12-22-2003, 12:15 PM

The real goal of AXs is to hit the flush. You just got unlucky that you hit a good flop for your hand, and were then caught (albeit by someone who had a better starting hand anway).

Still, I'd love to play with an idiot who likes to cap A10 PF.