Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Tournament Poker > Multi-table Tournaments
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12-02-2003, 06:09 PM

Default first time live tourney

Playing in a live tourney in a couple of weeks: two simultaneous tourneys going on, $50 each. Here are the details:

There will be two tournaments running simultaneously: a $50 7-Stud tournament (unlimited rebuys the first hour and one add on) and a $50 Hold'em tournament (one rebuy and one add on only).

Prizes paid will be determined by the number of buy-ins. We will have 20 minute rounds. Players will start with $500 in tournament chips. Rebuys will be $25 for $200 in tournament chips. The add on will be $25 and will buy $500 in tournament chips

The only tourneys I've ever played have been online at Paradise, so I know nothing about this "re-buy" or "add-ons".

Any and all advice/suggestions/tips, etc are appreciated.

Thanks.

Old 12-02-2003, 07:35 PM

Default Re: first time live tourney

have you already decided which tournament you're entering?

is the hold 'em structure limit, pot-limit or no-limit?

can you rebuy only when you're out of chips or any time you have less than you started with?

one strategic adjustment you should make, in addition to normal tournament strategy: if you have a close decision as to whether to call or fold, and calling would likely result in your being knocked out of the tournament after you have rebought, you should fold, because you will miss out on the chance to get a great price on your add-on if you bust out.

other than that, play your best game, and adjust to how the opponents are playing. if they're loose, value bet more and bluff less; if, more likely, they're playing tight, do the exact opposite, tightening up especially on your calls.
Old 12-03-2003, 12:46 PM

Here are some more details:

No Limit Hold'em tournament, which I will play instead of stud.

$50 buy-in

You can rebuy during the first hour only once, and only when you have less chips than you started with. $25 for 200 in tournament chips. You can add-on, regardless of your chip situation, only once. The add-on costs $25 for $500 in tournament chips.

They are anticipating about 40 entrants.

Any other advice?

Old 12-03-2003, 12:52 PM

Greg and I just had a good discussion of rebuys/addons in the "Allin on Flush draw" thread. Greg made a very detailed response to my questions.