Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Other Topics > Politics
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12-29-2005, 04:56 PM

Default Re: Conditional Suffrage?

I wonder how many people proposing a civics knowledge test as a voting requirement could actually pass the test they advocate.
Old 12-29-2005, 05:16 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I wonder how many people proposing a civic's knowledge test as a voting requirement could actually pass the test they advocate.

[/ QUOTE ] Well the test can be fashioned in a manner to get any % you would like. Because of the way that polititians work, It is a bad idea to have these tests. But I would venture a guess that between 10% and 35% of the population would be qualified to have a direct vote on issues. I have no way of actually knowing what the political powers would chose to test, so I can't give an accurate answer. The rest would still require representation. I think the test should be fahioned not on candidates but on The Consitution, ethics, and government knowledge. I also wonder how many polititians would be able to pass it? There needs to be a migration from representative democracy toward direct democracy.
Old 12-29-2005, 05:21 PM

Maybe the politicians should have to fill out a standardized questionaire. Instead, they are marketed by the same PR folks who make toothpaste commercials.

Nice to see the John Kerry smear campaign was effective. When the facts change, I change my opinion, what do you do?
Old 12-29-2005, 05:46 PM

Default jimmy carter and suffragemandering

[ QUOTE ]
Maybe the politicians should have to fill out a standardized questionaire. Instead, they are marketed by the same PR folks who make toothpaste commercials.

Nice to see the John Kerry smear campaign was effective. When the facts change, I change my opinion, what do you do?

[/ QUOTE ]Jimmy Carter summed up the results of the 2004 election pretty well. 10% of the population votes for the sitting president during times of war.

If a test was introduced how do you think each party would suffragemander it, so that only people who vote for them would be able to vote.
Old 12-30-2005, 04:42 PM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

If I'm George Bush, I change the facts to support my opinion.
Old 12-30-2005, 04:45 PM

Well since my thread has already irreversibly turned into a partisan mudslinging fest, I will put the final nail in the coffin.

[ QUOTE ]
If I'm George Bush, I change the facts to support my opinion.

[/ QUOTE ]

If I'm John Kerry, I change my opinion... period!
Old 12-30-2005, 06:41 PM

Actually, if I'm John Kerry, I change my opinion to suit whatever I think my current audience wants to hear. This is not unusual among politicians. Kerry just did it very badly and very obviously. I only voted for the idiot becuase I though he was a slightly less dangerous idiot than the one he wanted to replace. And it was close.
Old 12-31-2005, 05:18 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Kerry just did it very badly and very obviously.

[/ QUOTE ]

My favorite Bush mudslinging quote from the debates: "The only consistent thing about my opponent is the fact that he's inconsistent."

[ QUOTE ]
I only voted for the idiot becuase I though he was a slightly less dangerous idiot than the one he wanted to replace. And it was close.

[/ QUOTE ]

I'm fairly confident he would have won if he had shown the same attitude DURING the campaign that he showed during his concession speech. He was a different John Kerry.

Fortunately, he was a condescending waffle-factory until it was too late and we were spared. [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]
Old 12-29-2005, 07:26 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I think the test should be fahioned not on candidates but on The Consitution, ethics, and government knowledge.

[/ QUOTE ]

I agree.

[ QUOTE ]
I also wonder how many polititians would be able to pass it?

[/ QUOTE ]

The left would claim the test is racist.

[ QUOTE ]
There needs to be a migration from representative democracy toward mob rule.

[/ QUOTE ]

fyp
Old 12-29-2005, 07:47 PM

[ QUOTE ]
The left would claim the test is racist.

[/ QUOTE ] And the right would secretly harbor feelings of racial superiority?

[ QUOTE ]
There needs to be a migration from representative democracy toward mob rule.

[/ QUOTE ] I never said anything about getting rid of the courts.