Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Hold'em

Old 12-27-2005, 02:53 PM

Default Re: 2/4 KTs

[ QUOTE ]
I locked the Royal Flush Flop thread because the only interesting discussion that can come out of it is concerning the following.

Assume readless.

Party Poker 2/4 Hold'em (8 handed) FTR converter on zerodivide.cx

Preflop: Hero is MP1 with K[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img], T[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img].
UTG calls, UTG+1 calls

[/ QUOTE ]

I call.
Old 12-27-2005, 03:43 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I raise this at 5/10 >50% of the time.

[/ QUOTE ]

I'm not seeing many hands where UTG and UTG+1 limp at the Party 5/10 Full. Given the tighter nature of that game, I would be more inclined to limp in the 5/10 as I would be more wary of being dominated by one of the limpers in front.

Quite true, however, that raising is more likely to see you buy the button and have position post-flop.

Since I am mucking the KTo in this spot (2/4 or 5/10), I think I'm only raising here (5/10) if I am pretty sure the pot will be 3-way and my opponents are the type to give up easily post-flop or tell me right away they like their hand.
Old 12-27-2005, 04:50 PM

there are potentially dominating hands in front, but what about folding out dominating hands behind you?

just an additional something to think about
Old 12-27-2005, 04:53 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I'm not seeing many hands where UTG and UTG+1 limp at the Party 5/10 Full. Given the tighter nature of that game, I would be more inclined to limp in the 5/10 as I would be more wary of being dominated by one of the limpers in front.

[/ QUOTE ]

I've actually found this less likely to be true--at 5/10 & what hands I've played above, the average player is easily aggressive enough to raise or fold with KQ/KJ from EP. Generally when two players limp like that, it's either a case of both being loose players, or the first being loose & the second trying to get in cheap with a suited connector or small pocket pair.

When I was playing 2/4 & lower stakes, though, I would routinely see passive opponents limp from EP with hands like KJ or KQ...even AK from time to time.
Old 12-28-2005, 02:44 AM

[ QUOTE ]

Party Poker 2/4 Hold'em (8 handed) FTR converter on zerodivide.cx

Preflop: Hero is MP1 with K, T.
UTG calls, UTG+1 calls

[/ QUOTE ]

I think your play here depends on both how the rest of the table is playing, but also your ability to play post-flop well. I think a limp here is better than a raise if we play decently post flop. Raising is going to bloat a pot where half the field has yet to act, and after the flop we may or may not have absolute position over the remaining field.
Old 12-28-2005, 07:48 AM

This is the easiest PF raise ever.
Old 12-28-2005, 08:13 AM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]
Despite of your strong arguments I still like to limp.
Old 12-28-2005, 08:19 AM

This is the easiest PF raise ever because:

We have a good hand
We have position
We have morons open limping and overlimping before us
We dont' really care if people coldcall or not, we have high card value AND flush/draw value.
We like our hand.

Old 12-28-2005, 08:29 AM

[ QUOTE ]
We dont' really care if people coldcall or not, we have high card value AND flush/draw value.

[/ QUOTE ]
We'll be dominated a lot when players coldcall and we lose position, so we do not like getting coldcalled. At these limits coldcalling with KQ/KJ/AT/Axs is more common than in higher limits. As you say our hands play well multiway, let's limp and get calers with Kxs/QT aswell, i think raising would limit the remaining players to play mostly hands that holds us in bad shape, but fold hands we like getting called by.

I think raising would be +EV but calling more +EV.
Old 12-28-2005, 08:40 AM

Well be dominated? WTF are you talking about? People have called not raied, they don't have KJ KQ AK. They don't have us dominated. We can't be scared of people who haven't acted yet, or people who MIGHT coldcall. Raising is awesome because it either get us position with a good high card hand, or builds us a large multiway pot witha good multiway pot hand. If people coldcall behind us our K might not be good but our T is awesome and our spades kick ass. Besides, if we coldcall then we let retard A4 hands or some [censored] in and potentially cost us the pot. Seriosuly folding here sucks but calling here is way way worse than raising. IMO NOT raising here is a large mistake.