Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Other Poker > Stud

Old 12-20-2005, 05:51 PM

Default Re: $2/$4 hand

[ QUOTE ]
As for what follows after, depneds upon if you're rearised here or what 5th street bring everybody who is left.

[/ QUOTE ]

Here we go...

7 Card Stud High ($2/$4), Ante $0.25, Bring-In $1 (converter)

3rd Street - (1.00 SB)

Seat 1: xx xx T[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]___calls___calls
Seat 2: xx xx 5[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]___folds
Seat 3: xx xx 3[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]___folds
Hero: 8[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] 6[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] 8[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]___completes
Seat 5: xx xx 4[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]___calls
Seat 6: xx xx 5[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]___folds
Seat 7: xx xx 4[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]___calls
Seat 8: xx xx 2[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]___brings-in___calls

4th Street - (6.00 SB)

Seat 1: xx xx T[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] 6[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]___calls
Hero: 8[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] 6[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] 8[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] A[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]___bets
Seat 5: xx xx 4[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] K[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]___calls
Seat 7: xx xx 4[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] Q[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]___calls
Seat 8: xx xx 2[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] K[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]___calls

5th Street - (5.50 BB)

Seat 1: xx xx T[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] 6[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] 3[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]___checks
Hero: 8[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] 6[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] 8[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] A[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] J[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]___???
Seat 5: xx xx 4[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] K[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] 2[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]___
Seat 7: xx xx 4[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] Q[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] 8[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]___
Seat 8: xx xx 2[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] K[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] 2[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]___checks
Old 12-20-2005, 06:17 PM

I also would complete on 3rd hoping to get it HU with Seat 1. But, regardless of likely being ahead at this point, if I get 4 callers, the hand now looks unappealing. The raise did not work.

Given your completion, 8A8A rises to mind in the more suspicious. I might bet 3rd and proceed with caution. Who knows? Maybe it'll end up between you and Seat 1 after all. Also, you could be in worse shape. Loss of the 6 is bad but you did improve kicker-wise. Diamonds and spades could be scary but there are relatively many out.
Fold to any raise.
Old 12-20-2005, 06:44 PM

Well, 5th didn't do much for you. You lost one of your eights. Someone has an onboard pair, although with a dead deuce. On the positive side, no one got 3 suits or strt going. Your jack is not wonderful, but it is live and you do have the ace. But i want to check here and take the free card that the deuces are giving. It looks like you will get 2 checks after you, so 5th should be free. If it is bet, then call. Your Ace is a key card here now. But I would doubt a bet after you check on 5th.

As for betting 5th, at this point I don;t see it accomplishing enough. Yes it might drop 1, but I would rather draw for free for that needed ace. Looks like a hand of mediocre cards out there.
Old 12-20-2005, 07:26 PM

I say put money in the pot. It continues the appearance that you mean business and I don't think you should allow for a free round. Seats 5 and 7 had to brick. Seat 8 is a bit of a mystery. I would suspect a flush draw much less than I had at 4th. Maybe he's got you beat with 2 pair but he's scared of AA88. Maybe he's only got a pair of 2's. You'll soon find out.
If seat 8 calls, I'm then really hoping for 8 or A though I think J would probably be sufficient.

If you end up winning the pot, great. If you don't, consider the impression you will have created with your aggressive play.
Old 12-20-2005, 07:46 PM

Try to check-raise the one seat on fourth. If she dosent bet maybe the 8 will, then raise as well. Since this is 2-4 I'm assuming most arent dropping here on fourth, despite the scare card you caught. If it gets checked around on fourth it really dosent matter much since your opponents were unlikely to fold anyway. Then you can rethink things on fifth.

Mike Emery
Old 12-20-2005, 08:50 PM

Just for the hell of it I ran a simulation where I gave your opponents COMPLETELY RANDOM hole cards. You can do this with Wilson Turbo 7 Card stud. In a show down your hand wins 27% of the time (20% is break even in a 5 handed pot). Imagine what it is when you factor in that people don't just play random hole cards. Also, you have a huge playing disadvantage. What are you gonna do if someone makes 3 of a suit on 5th street? How about on 6th street? Are you just gonna call the whole way with the pair of 8s no matter what? Not only are the percentages against you but you'll never know where you stand and will make big mistakes one way or the other. A bet isn't gonna knock anyone out here. People don't think "Well he raised he might have pocket aces and he just hit trips" they just hit the call button.

I think if you're going further with this hand on 4th street, you have a leak you need to plug.
Old 12-22-2005, 01:19 PM

Roland, were you going to post the follow-up to this?
Old 12-22-2005, 07:07 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Roland, were you going to post the follow-up to this?

[/ QUOTE ]

Yeah.

7 Card Stud High ($2/$4), Ante $0.25, Bring-In $1 (converter)

3rd Street - (1.00 SB)

Seat 1: xx xx T[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]___calls___calls
Seat 2: xx xx 5[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]___folds
Seat 3: xx xx 3[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]___folds
Hero: 8[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] 6[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] 8[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]___completes
Seat 5: xx xx 4[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]___calls
Seat 6: xx xx 5[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]___folds
Seat 7: xx xx 4[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]___calls
Seat 8: xx xx 2[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]___brings-in___calls

4th Street - (6.00 SB)

Seat 1: xx xx T[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] 6[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]___calls
Hero: 8[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] 6[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] 8[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] A[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]___bets
Seat 5: xx xx 4[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] K[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]___calls
Seat 7: xx xx 4[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] Q[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]___calls
Seat 8: xx xx 2[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] K[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]___calls

5th Street - (5.50 BB)

Seat 1: xx xx T[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] 6[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] 3[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]___checks___folds
Hero: 8[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] 6[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] 8[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] A[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] J[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]___bets
Seat 5: xx xx 4[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] K[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] 2[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]___folds
Seat 7: xx xx 4[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] Q[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] 8[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]___calls
Seat 8: xx xx 2[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] K[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] 2[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]___checks___calls

6th Street - (8.50 BB)

Hero: 8[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] 6[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] 8[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] A[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] J[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] T[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]___???
Seat 7: xx xx 4[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] Q[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] 8[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] T[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]___
Seat 8: xx xx 2[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] K[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] 2[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] Q[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]___bets
Old 12-22-2005, 07:29 PM

Surprised you bet 5th.

Fold 6th.
Old 12-22-2005, 07:30 PM

I give up at this point. With no read on seat 8, it's difficult to pin down but, assuming weak, the bet is ominous. There's lotsa spades out but you could be looking at a flush. For that matter, a boat is not inconceivable. Also, Ks or Qs up looks huge.