Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Tournament Poker > Multi-table Tournaments

Old 12-08-2005, 02:44 PM

Default Final Table; WPT Qualifier

1 player goes to the Bahamas; 2-5: $650.00; 6th: $40.00

7 Players left.

UTG: 132,744
UTG+1: 106,700
MP+1: 46,786
MP+2: 148,147
LP: 185,171
SB: 72,576
Hero(BB)80,376

Blinds: 3 & 6K; antes 300

1fold; UTG+1 raises to 12K; all fold to SB who calls.

Hero has Ad,Qd.

How do you play it preflop?
Old 12-08-2005, 02:47 PM

Default Re: Final Table; WPT Qualifier

Any reads? Unless UTG+1 is a very tight raiser, I'm all in. Lot of money in the pot and minraises are usually more weak than AA/KK, which they are sometimes. SB is weak for calling and probably has a hand like AJ/99 and wants to see a flop before he commits himself. Don't let him.
Old 12-08-2005, 02:49 PM

Push.

This isn't even close, and even if I thought both players were tight, I still would push. There is a lot in the middle to be won, and you'd really like a double up.
Old 12-08-2005, 04:19 PM

My chips beat his to the middle.
Old 12-08-2005, 04:21 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Any reads? Unless UTG+1 is a very tight raiser, I'm all in. Lot of money in the pot and minraises are usually more weak than AA/KK, which they are sometimes. SB is weak for calling and probably has a hand like AJ/99 and wants to see a flop before he commits himself. Don't let him.

[/ QUOTE ]

Agreed. He's coming in for an early raise but unless this guy is a total rock it's a pushski in my book.
Old 12-08-2005, 04:25 PM

I would push...you have to accumulate chips at some point, and this is a great time to do. With so much overlay in the pot, you have to try to take the pot preflop. Of course, there's the risk of running into AK, QQ, KK, AA, but you have to double up at some point in order to have a chance at winning. Now is the time to do it.
Old 12-08-2005, 08:42 PM

Well, there are three plays you could plausibly make here.
1) Push, which is a very stong move, eliminating positional concerns, as well as the possibility of taking the pot down right there.
2) Put in a raise, weaker move which is likely not to take down the pot and will lead to positional problems later.
3) Call (at this point you're getting more than 5 to 1 odds) and take a cheap flop. Bet hard (possible all in) if you hit and check-fold if you don't.

While aggressive players (where aggression normally wins the pot) would argue number one, I would hate to see you move in on a pot like this where you are getting great odds and run into a coin flip and lose. Therefore, my vote is to call and see a cheap flop, not putting your whole tournament stake on a possible coinflip.
Old 12-08-2005, 09:29 PM

Was 12K a standard raise at this level as opposed to, say, 15k or 18k? And, of course, since it looks like you must have been playing together for a while, any reads?
Old 12-08-2005, 09:38 PM

What's the deal w/ the 2xBB raise w/ all those chips already in the middle? A read is very important here.
Old 12-09-2005, 11:58 AM

I went all-in. Opener folds. You are in the SB with K [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] Q [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img].

You believe it's possible I'd go all-in here with any pocket pair and the usual. Do you call?