Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Pot-, No-Limit Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12-03-2005, 12:35 AM

Default Newbie 200NL hand

Ok, so I've never played NL before. I play 10/20 6-max but am thinking of giving NL a shot. This is literally my first session so I apologize in advance if these hands are boring:

Party Poker No-Limit Hold'em, $ BB (6 max, 5 handed) FTR converter on zerodivide.cx

Button ($443.45)
Hero ($173.80)
BB ($220.20)
UTG ($125.03)
MP ($90.42)

Preflop: Hero is SB with Q[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img], J[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]. Hero posts a blind of $1.
<font color="#666666">3 folds</font>, <font color="#CC3333">Hero (poster) raises to $7</font>, BB calls $6.

Flop: ($16) 8[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img], T[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img], A[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">Hero bets $10</font>, BB calls $10.

Turn: ($36) K[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">Hero bets $30</font>, <font color="#CC3333">BB raises to $60</font>, Hero calls $125.80 (All-In), BB calls $95.80.
Old 12-03-2005, 01:36 AM

Default Re: Newbie 200NL hand

You lost to a flush ... most of the time. Sometimes this guy will be an idiot raising with a pair and a big diamond.

An openender with a 2 flush on board with no overcards in NL is not a good hand heads up. You only have 6 clean outs.

I would have check-folded the flop. If he checked the turn, I would bet 1/3 the pot on the turn and fold to major resistance.
Old 12-03-2005, 01:40 AM

Default Re: Newbie 200NL hand

Any reads? Against an unknown I fold this to his turn min-raise. If I've seen him make these gay turn min-raises before with mediocore hands or he seems otherwise tricky I might call him and then check/fold to pretty much any river bet. If he's superaggro and likes to bluff a lot I just might call him down.

As a limit player you might be overthinking the blind vs. blind aspect of this hand. Playing hands OOP in NL just sucks so much that my raising standards for SB are much much closer to UTG (6-max) than button. I'm not sure what others think but for me raising QJo is very marginal. My PFR% overall for 6-max is 16 so it's not just that I'm tight otherwise. I'd love to hear what others think about this.