Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > General Poker Discussion > News, Views, and Gossip
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12-02-2005, 11:31 AM

Default Re: THANKS....

I'm going to look for a job soon, after about 6 months or so out of work. I just quit my job and didn't feel like working again right away. Problem is that I have several gaps on my resume starting when I graduated from college in '99. I've considered telling interviewers about the poker in order to hide the fact that I have other sources of income that allow me to not work, but decided against it. The way poker players perceive poker is much different from you average person. Most people would not see a difference between playing poker for a living and betting on sports or playing blackjack. They just don't know the difference.

Also, I don't think the interviewer will ask you how you supported yourself over the past 6 months. He/she will ask you what you've been doing. Saying that you were playing poker is not +EV in my opinion. You will have to tell them something else. You can maybe say that a distant relative died recently and left you some money because he didn't have any children, and so you took some time to reevaluate your career goals, etc. I'm thinking of saying this myself but I'm not sure how well it would go over. Fact of the matter is that I don't really feel like doing the 9-5 thing right now, and that doesn't cut it in the business world. Interviewers want to see motivated, high energy people who want to climb the ladder, learn new skills, etc. My job field (marketing research) is cool, but I'm not particularly motivated to be the best market researcher. I just want a job to pay me a salary and insurance. There are many other things in life that interest me more than marketing research and building a career. But that's the way I need to be perceived so I'm trying to figure out some kind of excuse for my employment gaps...don't seem to be any good ones.
Old 12-02-2005, 11:38 AM

Default 2+ year gap

Great now i got some angst..... since i got a 2+ year gap.

I am a software engineer and my main reason for a wanting a job is that i miss the creative and social aspects that a work provides opposite to sitting in the appartment grinding PLO.

Maybe the best way is to list it as any other job and that it was time for a change, wanting a job change after 2 years sound reasonable right? The risk i see is of course that i will be seen as degenerate gamblor gone broke and that now need cash.

Poker is booming big in sweden, lots of comercials on the tv for sites and this years christmasgift is a pokerset. Not sure if the pokerboom is good or bad for my situation.

Any thoughts/advice?

/F
Old 12-02-2005, 02:05 PM

Default Re: 2+ year gap

You guys must be insane to even consider listing this. If you have to explain a gap make up some BS such as travelling or saying that you attempted to start your own business (somewhat true) but it did not go as planned. No need to say what kind of business that was. When people see poker on your resume it would be immediately tossed in the trash.

Also, on your resume, don't list months and years...just list years. In this way they can't tell gaps easily unless you have been out of work for a year plus.
Old 12-02-2005, 03:04 PM

[ QUOTE ]
If you have to explain a gap make up some BS such as travelling or saying that you attempted to start your own business (somewhat true) but it did not go as planned. No need to say what kind of business that was.

[/ QUOTE ]
I would put the chances of not getting the obvious follow-up question at about 10%, depending on the job.
Old 12-02-2005, 06:29 PM

Default Re: How does \'poker\' reflect on a resume?

[ QUOTE ]
I think their is a problem with mentioning the poker.
If he believes you failed at poker, he will think you are a degenerate gambler/idiot.
If he believes you are a winning player, he will think you get bored easily and won't last long.

[/ QUOTE ]

A few more reasons not to mention poker on a resume (unless you have a major final table finish) are:

A male interviewer may be jealous that you attempted what he cannot attempt...

A female interviewer may have a husband, son, boyfriend, whatever that lost a bundle on poker...

It may be feared that you will steal from the company to finance your poker playing...
Old 12-02-2005, 06:29 PM

With the type of job you described...service manager....DO NOT LIST POKER!

Don't list hobbies!

List work experience.

List relevent experience. For service manager, this would probably be anything related to customer service. If you organized some comminuty or church project or something similiar, list that. It shows an ability to get along with and motivate people.

But don't list poker!