Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Other Poker > Omaha High

Old 12-01-2005, 02:39 AM

Default Flop decision with overpair + flush draw

Hello. This is my first post in your forum. I play a lot of PLO/8, and I recently started mixing in some PLO as well. The learning process feels somewhat odd. On one hand I feel like I have a lot of experience with the game through playing PLO/8 when high cards flop, yet at the same time I feel like a complete newbie. Here's a hand where I demonstrate my inexperience...

Omaha Hi $0.50-$1 PL

Seat 1: GRsiciliano
Hero: $50
Villain1: $100 (VPIP 48, PFR 5.6, AF-Tot 2.5)
Villain2: $60 (VPIP 44, PFR 2.8, AF-Tot 2.3)

Hero is big blind with A[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] A[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] 6[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] 10[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]

PRE-FLOP
folder folds, villain1 raises to $2, 2 folds, folder calls $2, folder folds, villain2 calls $2, 2 folds, Hero calls $1.50.

I preferred not to re-pot this out of position, so I just called.

FLOP [board cards 3[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] K[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] 5[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]] (Pot $8.50)
Hero checks, villain1 bets $8.50, folder folds, villain2 calls $8.50, Hero raises to $42.50, Villain1 bets $87.10 and is all-in, villain2 folds, Hero calls $4 and is all-in.

So what do you think? I considered calling, but AA is difficult to play out of position and if my flush hits I'm in danger of not getting paid off. So when it comes back to me I figure AA plus nut-flush draw is a favorite heads-up against everything except a set. Unless the pre-flop raiser has KK, then I should be good. Against my opponents range of hands, does this line make sense? Or is it better to simply lead out for the size of the pot on the flop? Or is simply check-calling best?
Old 12-01-2005, 04:27 AM

Default Re: Flop decision with overpair + flush draw

This is a common situation for AAs. I think check-raise is horrible as your draw is not strong enough. I like leading or check-call.
Old 12-01-2005, 11:02 AM

Check call. If it were heads up you could donk bet a blank turn, but in a three way you should just check call the turn or fold depending on the pot odds.

Incidentally, that king is a terrible card for you. Thats often going to be make a set for someone here based on the info you have given me about the villains involved. thats why I opt for check call, cause if you hit the flush on the turn you can usually get a juicy load of EV in for the river. But check fold isn't terrible here IMO. Check/raise is awful.
Old 12-01-2005, 02:32 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Incidentally, that king is a terrible card for you. Thats often going to be make a set for someone here based on the info you have given me about the villains involved.

[/ QUOTE ]
Thanks, that's where I'm having a difficult time. Without more experience, I really have no idea how often someone is going to show up with a set of kings in this pot. This makes it difficult for me to weight my opponent's range of hands and judge my equity.

Playing around with twodimes, I see that heads-up against a single opponent, it's tough for me to be much worse than a coin-flip if no one has a set. If no one has a set, I can get most of my chips in when I'm either a favorite or only a slight dog along with generating a lot of fold equity. Against a set I'm in pretty bad shape. FYI, villain1 had KK. Villain2 folded later claiming to have laid down 55 (you're welcome villain2).