Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Pot-, No-Limit Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-30-2005, 11:53 PM

Default AK with all unders

empire 100nl 6 max

hero's table image is slightly laggish. open raises quite a bit with position. hero's taken down a good amount of pots with continuation bets. read on villain is around 35/10. he's seen hero's play for around 200 hands, and might be ready to take a stand.

hero is button and dealt A [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]K [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] (~200 chip stack)
villain in MP (~150)

preflop: UTG folds, MP calls, CO folds, hero raises to $4. folds around to villain, who calls

flop: 3 [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]5 [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]10 [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]
villain checks, hero bets $6, villain calls

turn: 2 [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]
villain checks, hero...

how many barrels do you fire?

--solids
Old 12-01-2005, 12:00 AM

Default Re: AK with all unders

My standard line is to fire about $16 on the turn.
Old 12-01-2005, 12:02 AM

but that flop is so draw-dry... what are we putting villain on after his flop-call?
Old 12-01-2005, 12:05 AM

This is a situation that I run into often and the short, easy answer is that this is totally read dependant.
Questions to ask yourself:

1. What has this person called my cont bet with before?
a. Overcards? Middle pair? PP lower than the board?

2. Has the player ever folded on the turn after you bet flop, and then bet turn?
a. I don't know if it's just me but I see a lot of players who will call the flop with overs/ace high or a lower pair, and then see if you will check behind on the turn. I run into a lot of players who will call a flop cont. bet but fold to continued agression unimproved.

3. What is villians range and potential holdings? What hands will he check/call on the flop, check again on the turn. What hands will he fold?

Honestly, this is one of those tough spots where I think it's very read dependant...

From a game theory standpoint you could decide some way to randomize when you fire a second barrell in these type of situations but I think that they are all very independant/read dependant and thus might need to be handled on a case by case basis.

I am very curious to see what other people say about this hand.
Old 12-01-2005, 12:13 AM

I think a lot of players check/call this flop with a weak T then fold to a bet on the turn.
Old 12-01-2005, 12:44 AM

My standard line is checking, but I will fire again if special circumstances are there, sée previos post.
Old 12-01-2005, 01:18 AM

well i completely agree with your logic and use it regularly. but in this example, hero is against an opponent who he doesn't have a good read on. only the fact that villain has seen you and expects you to throw in a continuation bet after every preflop raise. i guess i'm going against an "average" opponent: no solid read, he's seen some of your stuff, not too donkish, not too tight. how many barrels do you typically throw out when you hit nothing but air?

--solids
Old 12-01-2005, 01:24 AM

[ QUOTE ]
I think a lot of players check/call this flop with a weak T then fold to a bet on the turn.

[/ QUOTE ]

...maybe. i think you may be overestimating the competition on empire 100nl 6 max. i've seen some serious donkish play at that level. more often than not, i put villain on one of two hands. a medium pocket pair that they missed, or a weak 10, such as J10. i think you'd be surprised at how often they will call you down with a marginal hand.

--solids
Old 12-01-2005, 02:10 AM

Ok, so most players at this level make a fair amount of money from calling station donks. DONT TRY AND BLUFF THEM.
Old 12-01-2005, 02:15 AM

i fire 1 barrel as a standard. if i think my villain is weak i may fire a 2nd like 20% of the time. my guess is my hand is either good or if i hit a pair it will be good...