Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Mid-, High-Stakes Pot- and No-Limit Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-21-2005, 01:43 PM

Default Re: 5/10 Multiway Pot

With a decent made hand and three opponents you want to narrow the action, so your default is to bet at least 2/3 the pot.

There are roughly 10 outs that worry you (discount the 9s and Ts a little b/c an opponent has to have one for you to be hurt by them, and add a little for the 7s in case someone has 86). Risky, but you can check, particularly if you are against maniacal flop raisers. You do minimize your earn when you are ahead, but you also save money when you're behind and may induce action from crap hands like 97.

That said, most players will call the flop with a jack, and as long as they don't have KJ or QJ you have them in a world of hurt. Also, a lot of internet players will call with a king, 87 or 86, in which case you really do want to bet the flop.

Matt
Old 11-21-2005, 05:50 PM

thanks, it doesn't seem like it matters that much but i agree with your analysis. in the hand i checked, hit a straight on the turn and made no money.
Old 11-21-2005, 06:58 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Me playing zeebo HU has nothing to do with the quality of FSUs comment.

If I had a BR large enough to play the stakes that zeebo would want to play then I play him in a second. I can certainly bring the game, it is the BR that I cannot.

But if he really wants to play me then just show up at the NL2K on PP, you can find me everyday.

[/ QUOTE ]HU DUEL!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! any stakes!!!!!!!!!
Old 11-21-2005, 07:57 PM

[ QUOTE ]
it looks like everything thinks i should bet. why? if i get raised i'm in a tricky spot, and it's a 4 way pot, they can't call with many worse hands here

[/ QUOTE ]

You're neglecting your outs to improve. You figure to have either the best made hand, the best draw, or both, and so the solution is to get the money in on the flop and you don't need to play guessing games as to whether you're drawing or ahead.

Plus, if you get the short stack allin you've got a protected pot, so you can better judge the strength of your hand on turn and river against all but the trickiest opponents.

This flop is similar in texture to a three-diamond flop where you've got KK with a diamond. You might be slightly behind, you might be ahead, you're unlikely to be far enough behind that betting the flop is a bad idea.