Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Pot-, No-Limit Hold'em

Old 11-16-2005, 02:34 AM

Default Re: anyone making a living from SSNL?

Yeah, variance is a bitch.. I love poker when I'm at 10ptbb/100 at NL100, but wait a a day and that can halve with some bad beats and one bad call. Why do we do this to ourselves?
Old 11-16-2005, 03:10 AM

Default All this is good....but

now my poker income has bought some early presents for x-mas
but the thing i think noone is talking about are the slumps.....we have all had them. Supplement income is a smart stragedy, maybe even parttime emplyment

at a very least a six month savings that will pay your bills if you wanna take a vaction, or go on a slump, and when you hit the hot streak again, and make more put it back.

plausible
Old 11-16-2005, 03:12 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Just because you cant doesnt mean others can.

I've been playing 8 hours a day 5 days a week for the past 4 months.

Before that I was averaging 90-100 hours a month. I went pro in march.

The hours are easier and easier to put in as the months go on.

If mortals cant play that much poker...maybe me (and quite a few others) are just immortal?

[/ QUOTE ]

well if you actually are doing that, im not sure to congratulate you or what... i cant imagine myself being happy while living a life like that. most of my point was that people take a hourly rate from a month of playing, multiply it by a lot of hours, and decide that is how much they could win in a year. usually this gives them a number that is way off because there is so much variance and it is much harder than it sounds to play 5+ hours a day.

right now i play poker on a very part time basis, 15-20 hours a week tops. i have other stuff to do, and make more than enough to have a ton of money to spend doing that. if youve read any of sklanskys "happiness EV" stuff that basically describes my approach. maybe ive got too much going in other areas to play poker 8 hours a day. probably because i'd kill myself if i did.

[/ QUOTE ]

Its a job. Plenty of people have a desk job that they go to 40 hours a week. Most of them dont get to talk to their friends/gf on AIM or watch TV while they're at work either. I do. I go to the gym in the mornings and party on the weekends. Its a great life...dont know why you see it as such a miserable one....

*edit*
Plus, at your typical job, the monotony can just drive you insane. The swings of poker can be a pain, but they sure as hell bring excitement to your day. As long as you are able to keep yourself sane when things are going bad, and keep yourself grounded while you're running well...

I dunno, maybe the game is just custom designed for my mindset.

And I am saying this at the end of a near 1000BB downswing at 5/10 shorthanded. This isnt an exaggeration. Its also the reason I moved to NL [img]/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img]. At the moment I think NL (at least SSNL) would be much easier to play than limit for extended periods of time. We'll see though.
Old 11-16-2005, 03:34 AM

Anybody who wants to be a poker player should not play small stakes. Sure, it's possible, but you can do much better at higher stakes without much more improvement
Old 11-16-2005, 04:28 AM

Love the avatar. That episode came on tonight on Cartoon Network.

"Slow ride....take it easy"
Old 11-16-2005, 04:37 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Love the avatar. That episode came on tonight on Cartoon Network.

"Slow ride....take it easy"

[/ QUOTE ]

Haha, totally watched it [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

great episode
Old 11-16-2005, 06:22 AM

I make about 5k in a good a month playing small stakes NL. Problem is I can't do 2 good months on the bounce. I'm also very new to poker and don't plan on playing these stakes for any length of time. I'm 36, I graduated collge, I worked in I.T., I made well over a £100k a year. My poker income is unlikely to top that.

When I was working the stress eventually made me ill - I burned out. Health benefits didn't pay out, insurance didn't cover mental health, my employer had no long term sickness benefit (my basic salary went from £10k a month to £200 state benefits). The nice secure normal life with all the trimmings disappeared and I discovered that what I thought was secure was more fragile than bone china in the hand of a toddler.

Playing SSNL poker 30 hours+ a week to make rent money is only stressful when you start to think that the downswings and variance is due to you being a bad player and not just the way it is. Making a living at it is easy if your idea of living doesn't stretch too far beyond paying rent and bills and putting new strings on your guitar.
Old 11-16-2005, 05:05 PM

Some perspective here,

I'm 38 and have been through various "careers", none of which I've found very fulfilling or enjoyable. If you're one of the lucky few out there that have found their "bliss" then all the power to you.

For the rest of us who are still searching (and I'm sure that's 97% of us), the thought of doing something I enjoy immensely as a living is very attractive. Imagine if I could watch movies for a living, or play video games (which some people I know do), or any other number of things I enjoy.

Of course you're going to lose that "honeymoon" period where you might not like it as much anymore, but hell, it's like that at any job that you force yourself to go to every day. At least with poker you make you're own hours, definitely have more freedom, and unlike a steady salary, have the potential to make much more than your "base" if you will. I know, I know, you also have the potential to make much less, but you have to plan for that, and hey, you could still get layed off from your regular job and have down time in between, who of us has savings socked away for that?

What I'm trying to say is, playing poker, as long as you enjoy it, seems like a perfectly fun way to make a living, as long as you can handle the swings and the uncertainty of a salary that's not guaranteed (and don't a lot of sales jobs out there pay commission? that seems like a salary that fluctuates).

Anyways, I'm currently playing NL50 with the intent of being at NL200 by summer/fall 2006 and going pro then. I'm not being greedy (looking to make $45,000 USD) per year. I love poker now, and already play 20 hrs./week, and wish I could play double that.

And soon I will. [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

Cheers.
Old 11-19-2005, 04:56 PM

[ QUOTE ]
anyone making a living from SSNL

[/ QUOTE ]

yes

Play the 6MAX $100/$200.. if you are good you will make $200-$400 a day($60K-$120K a year). Once you are above that you can start to make some serious money but your swings will be not as easy to manage.

I would tell any aspiring pro to focus on short/6MAX play at LHE or NLHE. That is where the money is at for me at least and I think going forward as the Full games continue to tighten. Short games are just easier to make money in whether LHE or NLHE. Go where the easy money is..the easy money is in 6MAX once you've worked on your game and get used to the swings [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

There is a room that offers a variety of NLHE buy-ins that cater to different types of players. They have 200 big blind max buy-in at their 0.25/0.50 blind games and a unique 75 big blind buy-in game for their $2-4 blind game. I play the $2-4's there occasionally because I dont like to play deep at that level but at the lower level the 200x max.buy-in is probably the best NLHE game on the net for a low-limit grinder.... I'd be comfortable playing with 200x at any level I'm a solid winner at on a decent sample-I dont yet have that at $2-4...too bad they dont offer the 200x buy-in for the 0.50/1.00 and $1-2 ...if I'm not comfortable I dont want to play deep-unless the lineup is very weak.

The key to making it professionaly playing SSNL is game selection and volume-you need to put in solid hours everyday or you will fall short of that $200-$400 a day goal.
Despite what all the superstars/poseurs say must NLHE games now online just arent that good you need to nose around a bit to find good games...I'm talking below $2-4 here ..once you beat the $2-4's for just 5PTBB/100 you can play far fewer hours and make very good money-but yet again game selection is everything unless you are a wunderkind.

You can easily make a livable wage at limits as low as 0.25/0.50 but you will need to put in tons of play which will eventually become very tedious and you will must likely burn-out for good unless you manage yourself.