Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > General Poker Discussion > Brick and Mortar
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-18-2005, 03:55 PM

Default Re: When do you look at your cards. And Why?

In low limit games, I think waiting to look at your cards until it is your turn is about equal to wearing sunglasses at the table. It is a "watch too much TV" action and slows the game down to an almost annoying pace. The name of the game in low limit B&M holdem is to shoot for 35 hands per hour. If some tool slows the game down to 25 it is time to change tables.

Of course if someone is oozing tells out his pores at 4/8 you may want to watch that guy look at his cards, but if he is that bad, do you really need to watch??? Otherwise, don't wait. Look at your cards when you get them and play.
Old 11-18-2005, 04:34 PM

[ QUOTE ]
In low limit games, I think waiting to look at your cards until it is your turn is about equal to wearing sunglasses at the table.

[/ QUOTE ]

C'mon, it's not nearly so bad; it only takes (or should take) a second to look, decide and act.
Old 11-18-2005, 05:14 PM

A guy who wears sunglasses doesn't necessarily slow down the table, unless he waits until it's his turn to act, slowly peeks at his cards..tic-tok tic-tock, looks up and stares down the opener looking for a tell..tic-tok tic-tock, shuffles his chip into stacks... tic-tok tic-tock, and then disgustingly throws his $4 in the pot. Believe me, I've seen it happen. [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]

Of course it doesn't take very much time to efficiently look at your cards and act, but if everyone does it, it DOES slow down the game. The tells given off by a player when looking at his cards are generally so insignificant in low limit poker that I believe there is no real reason to reduce the number of hands per hour by even one hand. Unless you're playing 15/30 or higher, save that particular World Series move for TV.
Old 11-18-2005, 06:53 PM

[ QUOTE ]
In low limit games, I think waiting to look at your cards until it is your turn is about equal to wearing sunglasses at the table.

[/ QUOTE ]

Wow, I had no idea that I was giving off the impression that I learned my poker from the Travel Channel and ESPN. That's awesome! Gotta be +EV.