Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Tournament Poker > Multi-table Tournaments

Old 11-15-2005, 12:56 AM

Default And I thought I liked that turn card...

20K guaranteed on pokerroom. 800 or so to start, down to 150, pays 90, I'm top quarter. I'm fairly new to the table but I've seen about four rounds. I just restole allin from UTG+2 two hands ago, he thought a bit and folded, and i've played a few other hands strongly, so he probably thinks I'm aggressive. Neither he nor the preflop raiser have done much to distinguish themselves. I don't think he had openlimped yet, I tend to notice openlimpers, but I could be wrong.

Seat 1: UTG ($6,660 in chips)
Seat 2: UTG+1 ($12,680 in chips)
Seat 3: UTG+2 ($24,995 in chips)
Seat 4: Hero [7[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img],7[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]] ($16,325 in chips)
Seat 5: MP2 ($20,390 in chips)
Seat 6: MP3 ($25,652 in chips)
Seat 7: CO ($2,840 in chips)
Seat 8: Button ($2,070 in chips)
Seat 10: BB ($30,397 in chips)

ANTES/BLINDS
BB posts blind ($800). (No SB)

PRE-FLOP
UTG folds, UTG+1 folds, UTG+2 calls $800, Hero calls $800, MP2 folds, MP3 raises to $1,600, CO folds, Button folds, BB folds, UTG+2 calls $800, Hero calls $800.

(T5600, 3 players) FLOP [9 [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] ,6 [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] ,4[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] ]
UTG checks, Hero checks, MP3 checks.

I checked intending to checkraise allin a bet < 3K or so, probably fold to a significantly larger bet. Raiser foiled me by checking. I get what looks like a really good turn card given that I'm now 95% sure I'm ahead of the raiser.

(T5600) TURN [5 [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]]
UTG checks, Hero bets $3,000, MP3 folds, UTG+2 checkraises to $8,000...

I think this has to be a strong hand but cannot figure out what the hell it could be. Against any strong hand but 87 I have 8 clean outs and maybe two more. I don 't think he would openlimp 87, it has to be a set that missed a checkraise or a turned set.

Hero now has 11700 behind, Villain covers, there is 16600 in the pot, and it is 5000 to call with the rest going in on the river if I hit.

Pushing seems like suicide, I have too many outs to fold, so I... call and fold unimproved? YUCK

EDIT: what about the turn bet? Bet more? Bet the flop? Just push preflop? Interested in all thoughts on the hand.
Old 11-15-2005, 01:46 AM

Default Re: And I thought I liked that turn card...

BUMP because this is a good discussion hand. Every street is debatable and stack sizes are a key factor in each decision. There are posters here who could have posted the same hand and gotten twenty responses already.
Old 11-15-2005, 01:53 AM

I don't like the c/r all in plan on the flop. Might as well say "stack me" to the MP if he has an overpair, and you know miniraise does often represent, but that's just a nitpick.

I like the turn bet, half pot seems good. I dunno about a call, you don't have a ton of outs. sure an 8 and a 3 is good and a 7 is likely to be good aswell. He's given you good odds, but you'd be playing for essentially all your chips. I'd fold, if he can come over the top of me with air...congrats, nice pot.
Old 11-15-2005, 02:01 AM

[ QUOTE ]
I don't like the c/r all in plan on the flop. Might as well say "stack me" to the MP if he has an overpair, and you know miniraise does often represent, but that's just a nitpick.

I like the turn bet, half pot seems good. I dunno about a call, you don't have a ton of outs. sure an 8 and a 3 is good and a 7 is likely to be good aswell. He's given you good odds, but you'd be playing for essentially all your chips. I'd fold, if he can come over the top of me with air...congrats, nice pot.

[/ QUOTE ]

80% of the time I'd just bet out on the flop, but I decided to get fancy and read his bet size to decide if he had overcards or a pair. Most of the time the big pocket pair minraisers get loud on the flop. I dunno if it's such a good idea either, definitely high risk.

"but you'd be playing for all your chips" - this is part of what I'm getting at, call based on pot odds is pretty marginal and I'm not sure if I should be going after the big pot or saving my stack.