Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Tournament Poker > Multi-table Tournaments

Old 10-04-2005, 07:51 AM

Default Re: Tough spot UTG short stack, deep in the 11r

I think this is an easy fold. You definately can't push or raise. AJo UTG and 10xBB is definately a bad push, so ATo UTG 9-handed with 9xBB is also bad.

I don't think you want to limp with this hand. Just fold.

You need to play position. Wait a few hands and you will have 7xBB in late position and you can push a lot of hands.

A lot of live tournaments have more than 3xBB in blinds and antes, in which case this is a push.
Old 10-04-2005, 10:17 AM

I see most people have responded with a fold, but with an M of <5 about to go under 4 as u pass through the blinds. I think I'm leaning towards a push here. The table has been tight and to put 58K in your stack is a big increase. At a loose table where I'm more inclined to be called I may look for a better spot as I'm not thrilled being all in w AT but sometimes pushing here and not getting called may help later on when u do have a big hand.

Anyways, I'm pushing here and even if I get called- as long as he doesnt have AA's Im not that big of a dog w a chance to double up and make a legit run at the FT.
Old 10-04-2005, 10:25 AM

I would fold here too. As others have said, it's close EV wise, but there are definitely better spots to accumulate chips. Even raising with 2 live cards in position is higher EV than raising with AT here (if you really want the math, I can definitely do that).
Old 10-04-2005, 11:42 AM

Hero Pushes.

With 8 1/2XBB I don't know what hero is waiting for. The move is probably only slightly EV+, but hero will have only 7XBB left after the blinds pass him and cannot afford to pass on any opportunities (coinflips). If you also consider that 10th pays about the same as 30th, its an easy push.
Old 10-04-2005, 12:01 PM

I would fold this. You still have enough of a stack to have good FE with the players on your left. But if the table was particularly tight or my image was really strong I could talk myself into pushing this.
Old 10-04-2005, 01:09 PM

You are about to lose 1/5 - 1/6 of your stack through the blinds if you fold this and lose your blinds. While I'm not a huge fan of AT that's the hand you were dealt.

An arguement could be made for folding and then pushing any two from the SB or from LP when folded to. If this is AJ are you thinking about it and what about AT suited.

It would be nice to sit back and wait for a great hand but if you want a shot at making a deep run you have to take some shots in less than perfect places. Push it and hope for the best.
Old 10-04-2005, 01:41 PM

Default Re: FOLD

FOLD
Old 10-04-2005, 01:50 PM

betgo you think AJo is a fold in this spot also? I think AJ is a clear push here.

I ended up folding this hand, because I figured I could steal my way back up since a lot of the medium stacks seemed very hesitant to risk most of their stack calling a push.
Old 10-04-2005, 02:40 PM

Just because the result you were looking for didn't happen, doesn't mean you didn't make the right play. One more round and you might have to push with A T, but as it stands after the blinds you will have 200k and eight more hands to look at.
Old 10-04-2005, 03:29 PM

[ QUOTE ]
betgo you think AJo is a fold in this spot also? I think AJ is a clear push here.

[/ QUOTE ]

I said AJo is a fold with this ante structure with 10xBB UTG 10-handed. The position and stack size is better here, but your hand is worse, so this is a fold.

In this situation AJo would be close. I would probably push AJs.

I don't see the point about how you have to move before you lose part of your stack to the blinds. Once you get shorter stacked, you can make lots of moves, playing much more aggressively. You will still have enough chips to make people fold to a raise.