Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Micro-Limits

Old 09-07-2005, 05:23 PM

Default Re: AQ on scary board

Check fold, this flop sucks. Even when you do hit your gutshot, you're praying for no more hearts. That is if someone doesn't even already have the flush.
Old 09-07-2005, 07:24 PM

Well I auto-bet out, but I was wishing there was an Undo button right afterwards. I'm convinced now that checking is better. Anyway, here's what happened next:

Party Poker 1/2 Hold'em (6 max, 6 handed) converter

Preflop: Hero is SB with Q[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img], A[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img].
UTG calls, <font color="#666666">2 folds</font>, Button calls, <font color="#CC3333">Hero raises</font>, BB calls, UTG calls, Button calls.

Flop: (8 SB) K[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img], J[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img], 9[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(4 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">Hero bets</font>, BB folds, UTG calls, Button calls.

Turn: (5.50 BB) Q[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(3 players)</font>
Hero...

So now, nobody's shown any strength, I improved, but there's a four-straight and an overcard on board. Button will call down with a J,9,A-high or the 3 of purple horseshoes, but UTG is still hanging around and I'm pretty readless on him. So do I bet and fold to a raise? Or just check/fold now?
Old 09-07-2005, 09:17 PM

I check/fold the flop. Anything that improves me most likely improves someone else.

3 to a flush, and 4 to a straight on the board, makes 2nd pair and an overpair pretty worthless. Check fold the turn.
Old 09-07-2005, 09:24 PM

This flop is definately miserable for the hand you hold. An unpaired hand with one overcard on a monotone board with open-enders galore is not the kind of hand I am going to be playing against multiple opponents. You are not going to fold out anyone with a respectable heart and may be drawing dead to the flush or up against a made straight already. I would check and drop this for anything coming back my way.
Old 09-07-2005, 09:32 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Maybe a leak of mine. I generally like to bet out when I'm the pf raiser when a scary board flops. Not saying that I do it all the time, but hey, if it works (in this case)more that 12.5% of the time, it's worth it.....right????[img]/images/graemlins/confused.gif[/img]

[/ QUOTE ]

I used to do this all the time but I found that when you bet flops like these after you've raised preflop, it's when even passive players are more likely to bluff or semi-bluff and raise it back to you. I might lead or bluff-checkraise if it's just the preflop raiser, myself, and one other opponent but I don't think you're folding out three opponent on this flop. I think it's just tossing money away.