Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Micro-Limits

Old 08-06-2005, 06:41 PM

Default JJ, Too Aggressive?

This was my 2nd orbit so I didn't have real good reads. Villian had only played a few hands with nothing note worthy in his play. He certainly wasn't a LAG and seemed to be thinking a player but I hadn't reached any conclusions. He hadn't played a lot of hands so he wasn't the any 2 will do type.

Is this overly aggressive? Should I have just gone into call down mode (a fold was not an option for me here without a strong read which I don't have here). I have a real hard time figuring out what to do here. It feels like a way ahead/way behind situation so maybe calling down is the best line. He could of had a hand like TT, 88, AQ, or AJ and been making a play. I had a hard time giving him credit for AA, KK, QQ or AK since he didn't 3 bet (JJ was possible in which case any play is 0 EV). He could also have had 99 or A3s which I'm way behind to. It seemed like there were more possible hands I beat than beat me so I felt a reraise was the best play. What are people's standard line here?

All comments and criticisms welcome. Thanks.

PokerStars 0.50/1.00 Hold'em (9 handed) converter

Preflop: Hero is UTG+1 with J[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img], J[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img].
<font color="#666666">1 fold</font>, <font color="#CC3333">Hero raises</font>, <font color="#666666">2 folds</font>, MP3 calls, <font color="#666666">4 folds</font>.

Flop: (5.50 SB) 4[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img], 3[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img], 3[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">Hero bets</font>, MP3 calls.

Turn: (3.75 BB) 9[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">Hero bets</font>, <font color="#CC3333">MP3 raises</font>, <font color="#CC3333">Hero 3-bets</font>, MP3 calls.

River: (9.75 BB) 5[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">Hero bets</font>, MP3 calls.

Final Pot: 11.75 BB
Old 08-06-2005, 06:48 PM

Default Re: JJ, Too Aggressive?

This looks good to me.
Old 08-06-2005, 06:49 PM

Looks good to me vs. an unknown but suspected decent player. If the read is correct, he's not going to be coldcalling you preflop with a 3 in his hand (unless he's got two of them and even that's iffy) and he's probably 3-betting with AA-QQ, so your only real worries are 44 and 99. I think you're good here the vast majority of the time, especially when he just calls your turn 3-bet.

As for my standard play here, I vary it between 3-betting the turn and calling down. On this board and this limit, I'd usually 3-bet the turn, too.
Old 08-06-2005, 10:56 PM

Looks reasonable. MP could have raised the turn with a 9.