Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > General Poker Discussion > Books and Publications
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 04-23-2005, 05:12 PM

Default Hold\'em odds book....

Hi-

I wonder if anyone can offer me the best book regarding hold'em preflop odds on the market. I know the basic odds (I'm not a begining hold'em player) like 220-1 to get a specific pair preflop, 16-1 to get any pair, etc. But I would like a book with all the hold'em preflop odds and how they come up with them (I'm not too mathematically inclined and would like to learn). I would think it would be much easier to learn if I had a good hold'em odds book to lead the way, then I could see how the odds came up and save myself a lot of time. I'm just looking for odds like, how often will I be dealt AA-JJ, how often will I hold JJ in a ten handed game and someone will hold AA-QQ, stuff like that. Like I said I would also like it to show the math involved if possible so I may learn. Thanks so much for any responses.

Mike Emery
Old 04-23-2005, 05:31 PM

Default Re: Hold\'em odds book....

I am curious as to how you think applying this to your game will have any benefit. Understand valuing a hand preflop, and you should not have any problems with preflop play.

Freakin
Old 04-23-2005, 05:39 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I am curious as to how you think applying this to your game will have any benefit. Understand valuing a hand preflop, and you should not have any problems with preflop play.

Freakin

[/ QUOTE ]

LOL...ask Sklansky what benefit math has to poker...it's only the basis behind every move you make [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img].

Mike Petriv's Hold'em's Odds Book, a.k.a. Hold'em Odds Book is recommended for what you are looking for. Not sure where all they're sold. I'm bidding on one on E-bay right now.

M
Old 04-23-2005, 06:11 PM

I am curious as to why you wouldn't just use the search function or even just look back a couple of pages since this get's asked twice a week.
Old 04-23-2005, 06:13 PM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Valuing a hand preflop and wanting to know the mathematical distibution of hands dealt to me and my opponents is totally diffrent. I know how to "value" hands like, suited connectors and small pairs need multiway action, big offsuit high cards do best against a small number of players, etc. What I want to know is the cold odds of getting dealt something specific, or being behind to something preflop.

Mike Emery
Old 04-23-2005, 06:13 PM

You can buy it here.
Old 04-23-2005, 06:15 PM

[ QUOTE ]
You can buy it here.

[/ QUOTE ]

That looks good, thanks.

Mike Emery
Old 04-23-2005, 06:19 PM

Default seven stud odds book?

Jake gave me a good link to a hold'em odds book, which I ordered. Has anyone here come across a good odds book for seven stud hi? I would reason that it would be too tough (impossible) to calculate every situation, but a guide as to how to go about it? Stud material is so hard to find and the math looks tough.

Mike Emery
Old 05-01-2005, 09:31 AM

You could try this poker odds page.

Hope that helps,
Andrew