Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 02-05-2005, 12:17 PM

Default 88 Flops set, correct slow play?

Table is a bit loose but this was unusual to have this many to the flop. I didn't raise because I figured my pot equity was low with so many players and the likelyhood of an overcard hitting someone (I felt I needed to hit a set to win). Raising the flop wouldn't protect my hand so I figured a 2 bet on the turn was a better play. Comments on all streets please.

Party Poker 2/4 Hold'em (9 handed) converter

Preflop: Hero is CO with 8[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img], 8[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img].
UTG calls, UTG+1 calls, MP1 calls, MP2 calls, MP3 calls, Hero calls, Button calls, SB completes, BB checks.

Flop: (9 SB) 4[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img], 6[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img], 8[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(9 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">SB bets</font>, BB folds, UTG calls, UTG+1 calls, MP1 calls, MP2 calls, MP3 calls, Hero calls, Button folds.

Turn: (8 BB) K[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(7 players)</font>
SB checks, <font color="#CC3333">UTG bets</font>, UTG+1 calls, MP1 folds, MP2 folds, MP3 calls, <font color="#CC3333">Hero raises</font>, SB folds, UTG calls, UTG+1 calls, MP3 calls.

River: (16 BB) J[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(4 players)</font>
UTG checks, UTG+1 folds, MP3 checks, <font color="#CC3333">Hero bets</font>, UTG calls, MP3 folds.

Final Pot: 18 BB
Old 02-05-2005, 12:21 PM

Default Re: 88 Flops set, correct slow play?

No. Go ahead and raise the flop, you've got 6 players trapped. If SB had raised pf, then you might want to call here, since he might 3-bet, making the field call 2.
Old 02-05-2005, 12:29 PM

Definantly bet the flop.

1. Value bet if SB just calls you will get many additional bets.
2. If SB 3 bets he may force out some of the draws you are afraid of...though if he raised you may need to worry about a flopped straight.

Cheers,
Timothy
Old 02-05-2005, 12:33 PM

I wouldn't worry about a floppped straight until he raises, you reraise, and that goes on for a bit.

Raise though, on that board folks WILL stcik a round with overcards.
Old 02-05-2005, 12:38 PM

Raise the flop for value. Protect top pair not top set.
Old 02-05-2005, 12:41 PM

In regards to your staement about protecting your hand, you have a value raise on the flop against 75.
Old 02-05-2005, 01:11 PM

I will echo what the other people on here have said but for slightly different reasons. Raise the flop because:

1) a lot of these pot donators that called the single bet on the flop will not call even one on the turn. Characteristic of many low limit fishes that always peel one off regardless, but then dump the turn if they didn't hit the runner for a runner runner gutshot or flush draw.

2) Plenty of scarecards that can come on the turn that will dry up the action, or even put you in a precarious spot where you no longer know if you're best and don't know what to do. Get the bets in when you are very confident you have the best of it. You may not get the chance on the turn.

3)Mentioned before, but the bettor may 3 bet you, and therefore knock out some of the stragglers that like it for one but not for 3. This would be great, possibly getting some dead money in the pot.

4) The bettor may decide not to bet the turn with whatever he has after all those callers, and suddenly it is checked all the way through to you. Now this sucks, because you can only charge everyone one bet again, and they will have pot odds for all kinds of sht. I see this happen a lot in passive low limit games. A blind bets out on the flop, but then checks the turn and it gets checked all the way through.

The only disadvantage I see is if you raise, the bettor 3 bets, several players drop, and you fill up. Then you will wish everyone stayed in, but you'll start making mistakes if you start thinking like this.

So get the money in early when you have the best of it. It makes the hand play a lot easier.
Old 02-05-2005, 01:20 PM

You had the chance to get 6 players for another small bet each on the flop. Take it.
Old 02-05-2005, 02:08 PM

Slowplaying should be very rare.

You might consider slowplaying when the pot is small, you have few opponents, all or most of those opponents will likely fold to a bet or a raise, and you have a very strong hand such that a free (or cheap) card might allow one or more opponents to draw to a stronger, but still second-best, hand.

In your case, you have a large pot, you have a bunch of opponents, you have no indication that your raise will drive anyone out, and the flop makes it relatively unlikely that others will get a turn card that makes a strong (but still second-best) hand. Don't slowplay this. Ever.