Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Internet Gambling > Internet Gambling
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-13-2004, 03:50 PM

Default Re: Wife visited a palm reader today.

The events i've heard of and watched happen have all been a lot less than 10% shots. Say it was a 1/500 shot, that's 499 pissed off customers before she gets one right, they wouldn't have any business at all.

If someone walks in wearing a party poker t-shirt and clearly hasn't eaten in weeks, their job gets easier however.

Lori
Old 10-13-2004, 04:17 PM

Maybe you're just going to lose your job (less hours) and your wife's going to leave you as a result (doesn't need to worry about your poker anymore). But I might be wrong.
Old 10-13-2004, 04:21 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Less than 5% of people play poker, so the chances the psychic hits it right are the same as you hitting your set on the turn.

[/ QUOTE ]

That assumes that the psychic has a 'cost' for trying to hit their 'set'. If people forget the false things, and only remember those that are true, its +EV to aim for a set [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]
Old 10-13-2004, 04:25 PM

[ QUOTE ]

If this were true you'd be hearing 90% of people who visit psychic's saying they said nothing right. Less than 5% of people play poker, so the chances the psychic hits it right are the same as you hitting your set on the turn.

[/ QUOTE ]

"Anecdotal evidence" is an oxymoron.

Memory is selective, that's the whole point of "cold reading" people remember the hits, forget the misses and volunteer information. Then the psychic just narrows it down. Hell, every police detective on the planet's livelyhood depends on this.

Do you have an unedited tape of the conversation?

[ QUOTE ]

Moreso, in my personal experience of listening to people who have visited them they have all been corrected, so if they are general guesses they have guessed right 4 times now, for a (1/10)^4 chance (1/10 comes from the 10% of the population who play poker/have an ill family member etc).

[/ QUOTE ]

So nobody's ever gone to a psychic who's a fraud?

Funny, I know a non-trivial number of people who've been ripped off by shady auto mechanics, contractors, used car salesmen. Not to mention bad doctors, bad laywers, etc.

But in your world all psychics are 100% legit and 100% effective?

In the game of life people who pay psychics money are the fish...
Old 10-13-2004, 05:00 PM

That red on black has to be the worst, most illegible color scheme I've ever seen. How could someone be so insane as to pick that way of presenting information? The web site owner or designer must be completely out of his mind.
Old 10-13-2004, 05:29 PM

[ QUOTE ]
That red on black has to be the worst, most illegible color scheme I've ever seen. How could someone be so insane as to pick that way of presenting information? The web site owner or designer must be completely out of his mind.

[/ QUOTE ]

Did you actually click on the link? You were supposed to use your psychic powers to read it.
Old 10-13-2004, 08:26 PM

Im a Union steward who is in no danger of losing my job. My has gone to this dude about once a year. I don't even ask what she pays him. Every time she comes back, he tells her to leave me alone and have confidence in what ever I'm doing. For my marriage his meetings are priceless. I dont know if all these phscics do it, but this one is my friend and Ive never met him. Thanks for all the replies.