Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 03-18-2004, 11:35 AM

Default When your bullets turn out to be blanks...,

...when do you let'em go. I think I could have easily folded this on flop and definitely on the turn. I'm guessing this hand cost me about 2bb more than it should have..,

Party Poker 2/4 Hold'em (10 handed) converter

Preflop: Weak Ace is CO with A[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img], A[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img].
UTG folds, UTG+1 folds, UTG+2 calls, MP1 folds, MP2 folds, MP3 folds, <font color="CC3333">Weak Ace raises</font>, Button calls, SB folds, BB folds, UTG+2 calls.

Flop: (7.50 SB) J[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img], J[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img], T[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] <font color="blue">(3 players)</font>
UTG+2 checks, <font color="CC3333">Weak Ace bets</font>, Button calls, UTG+2 calls.

Turn: (5.25 BB) 9[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] <font color="blue">(3 players)</font>
UTG+2 checks, Weak Ace checks, <font color="CC3333">Button bets</font>, UTG+2 calls, Weak Ace calls.

River: (8.25 BB) 6[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] <font color="blue">(3 players)</font>
UTG+2 checks, Weak Ace checks, <font color="CC3333">Button bets</font>, UTG+2 calls, Weak Ace calls.

Final Pot: 11.25 BB
<font color="#990066">Main Pot: 11.25 BB, between UTG+2, Weak Ace and Button.</font>
Old 03-18-2004, 11:44 AM

Default Re: When your bullets turn out to be blanks...,

Explain why you easily could fold this on the flop ?
and why you check the turn ?

As a sitenote, I think you can fold it if you bet turn and get raised by a not too tricky player.
Old 03-18-2004, 11:55 AM

It's not a pretty flop, but there's no way you should be folding. Nothing has happened yet.
Old 03-18-2004, 12:01 PM

I'd be a lot more worried about why I checked the turn instead of considering folding this on the flop. Reading a lot of mikey posts recently?
Old 03-18-2004, 12:08 PM

Why are you thinking about folding the flop?

On the turn, I would bet. If you get raised than you can think about folding.

Old 03-18-2004, 12:08 PM

Why did you check the turn? If you had just bet out, you would have known how to play your aces thereafter. Did you think he had a jack? why?

aas.
Old 03-18-2004, 12:10 PM

Well,

Here's what I'm thinking, albeit, mistated my flop intentions. I've raised one EP limper in MP and got called. Game conditions are not ideal. So this means that EP has a good but not great hand and my left has a good callable hand.

When I bet out on the flop with a connected, paired board I don't think these guys are chasing too badly. Best case scenario I'm up against a worse two pair. Worse case, I'm already beaten and since I'm the aggressor, the guy with trips is waiting for me to play the turn to raise me. I'm guessing here that I'm likely up against O/S straight draw tho.

So when the 9 falls, I figure I can check/call it down, bet and fold to a raise, or check/fold to a bet. The latter would have saved the most money. I don't like your suggestion as much because if I only think i'm beat, then I have to think too hard about how tricky this player is and whether I should let him out play me and not see any result. I'm thinking with three players in the pot, a bluff is slightly less likely and am probably beat on the turn.
Old 03-18-2004, 04:17 PM

In the end, my left had K [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]Q [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] and took it down.
Old 03-18-2004, 05:49 PM

My condolences. That is just about the worst flop you can get if it does not hit you. I don't know where I read or heard it, but when I see a flop like this I immediately think "Jacks and Tens in the flop are good for limpers". You can't really fold this as a 9, T or Q will put you on big slick and bet the turn after you check. Call me weak tight, but against reasonable opponents I would play it the same way. A very scary flop for your bullets. [img]/images/graemlins/frown.gif[/img]

If this flop hits someone, it will likely hit them hard. I think of the turn check as inducing a bluff. Some players will automatically bet a scary board in that situation, but will not call if you bet. If they are not bluffing, you lose the minumum. If they are, you pick up an extra BB.

The only other option is to bet the turn and fold to a raise - but on this board, that could easily be a semibluff with a Q.
Old 03-18-2004, 06:10 PM

You'll get better responses if you don't reveal the results in the title of the post.