Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > General Gambling > Psychology
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Closed Thread

Old 11-27-2005, 11:24 AM

Default Re: The bad side of it all...

[ QUOTE ]
This note is a goodbye or sorts.

Not many know me, but they'd know me if I posted under another name.

I used to think I was a good player, got into bad personal problems, and now have resorted to trying to get back to normal on my mother's credit.

This game is no good for anyone without a great amount of luck. This is my goodbye to 2+2, my family, and the world. Don't let thinking you're good at a game of cards ruin your life like it did mine.

I sat there and tried to find a suicide chat room on the internet, all you can find is phone numbers. I'm too ashamed to talk to someone over a telephone, so I figured I'd post here.

Poker ruined my relationship because the money wasn't regular. I made enough, but it wasn't regular enough, and maybe that's just a bad girl. But then I tried to get more and more trying to please the chick, and I [censored] myself over.

Don't fall into my trap. Online poker was a death trap for me, and I was a "winning" player. It only takes a bit of a bad run to kill you and make you hate your life. I just hope this serves as a message to all of the prospective "pros" out there. You better make a few hundred grand, and then go for a few hundred more safely.

But hey, I put someone through college, paid off 2 cars and a house. I must have did OK, right? Guess not...

Goodbye 2+2, and sorry for sounding like a bitch but my bipolar ass can't take this [censored] anymore.

[/ QUOTE ]

you're getting better KKF
Old 11-27-2005, 11:35 AM

Visit a children's hospital with 3 year old kids with terminal diseases and you will never feel sorry for yourself again.
Old 11-27-2005, 06:35 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Visit a children's hospital with 3 year old kids with terminal diseases and you will never feel sorry for yourself again.

[/ QUOTE ]

best advice so far....
Old 11-27-2005, 06:40 PM

Didn't you just post that you needed $1800? $1800? C'mon, when my ex-wife left and I started opening my own mail I discovered that I was stuck $80,000 in credit card debt and $70,000 worth of stocks had been sold and the cash gone. It's very difficult to stand in the middle of a storm and remember that the sun is shining somewhere, but it is. And eventually it will shine on you again. $1800? I'm going to go out on a limb and guess that you are 21 years old or younger. If you're actually older than 21 then you need to man up and handle your business. Either way I would strongly reccommend that you speak to a professional if for no other reason than to verbalize how you feel about your current situation. You would be amazed how that puts things into perspective. Seriously, $1800?

Regards,
G.I.
Old 11-27-2005, 08:50 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Didn't you just post that you needed $1800? $1800? C'mon, when my ex-wife left and I started opening my own mail I discovered that I was stuck $80,000 in credit card debt and $70,000 worth of stocks had been sold and the cash gone. It's very difficult to stand in the middle of a storm and remember that the sun is shining somewhere, but it is. And eventually it will shine on you again. $1800? I'm going to go out on a limb and guess that you are 21 years old or younger. If you're actually older than 21 then you need to man up and handle your business. Either way I would strongly reccommend that you speak to a professional if for no other reason than to verbalize how you feel about your current situation. You would be amazed how that puts things into perspective. Seriously, $1800?

Regards,
G.I.

[/ QUOTE ]
WTF? That requires a story. You didn't even notice?
Old 11-28-2005, 01:37 AM

For the original poster:

Watch the movie: "What the Bleep do we know"

I think it will put things into perspective for you.

Also, I think think this is an important concept:

No matter how f*cked up my current situation is, I just think about my life in 5 years from now and how whatever just happened to me right now, I probably wont even remember it.
Old 11-28-2005, 01:48 AM

[ QUOTE ]
I actually unloaded the gun and put on the safety if it means anything to anyone here.

[/ QUOTE ]
Good. Now go sell that gun use that $ to play cards.
2 birds/ 1 stone.
The *worst* case is you bust that $, so you are back where you started, sans gun. THats still better.
Old 11-28-2005, 01:51 AM

[ QUOTE ]
you're getting better KKF

[/ QUOTE ]
I hope you're right. He hasn't posted since this a.m.
Old 11-28-2005, 01:56 AM

It sounds like you're assuming a victim role stance, which isn't surprising given that you think you're powerless over other people and events. Also, you apparently have a problem with dichotomous 'all or nothing' type thinking. For example, you say either you commit suicide or you steal mom's money. I would be pretty miserable too if I believed those were my only two options. Rather, you have a whole host of other options you have discounted. Perhaps you're unaware that you don't have to allow yourself to think and behave in a self-defeating, irrational manner. In fact, people and things do not disturb us, rather we disturb ourselves by believing they CAN disturb us. You act as though you're the innocent victim of a heartless witch (ex-girlfriend) but in reality you've allowed yourself to be exploited.

Also, if we take your ideology to the extreme all people who are having severe financial problems like bankruptcy should commit suicide. Can't you see how insane this is? I think you should seriously consider seeing a cognitive behavioral therapist (and/or psychiatrist) to work on your absolutist, dichotomous, and generally irrational thinking. You are definately awfulizing and catastrophizing and the obvious result is severe depression. The problem is not what has happened to you, rather your beliefs about what have happened to you. For it's your beliefs and not the original activating event (e.g. going broke) that leads to the cognitive/emotive consequence.

If you're mind isn't racing too fast and you're composed enough to read a book I recommend reading anything by Albert Ellis (founder of cognitive therapy, specifically Rational-Emotive Therapy). In particular, try 'How to Stubbornley Refuse to Allow Yourself to Feel Miserable About Anything...YES ANYTHING!' If you can't afford a copy go to your local library or try Amazon.com for used copies.

If you truly feel imminently suicidal you need immediate medical help, beyond what anybody here can offer. I truly hope the best for you and can relate as I take anti-convulsants for mood-disorder (bipolar and Aspergar's). Also, I was $15,000 in the hole due to medical bills. I was extremely depressed but fought my way back over 3 years (it wasn't easy). The fight itself can be rewarding in and of itself. That being said, get thy butt to the hospital if you feel out of control or suicidal.

JeffreyREBT
Old 11-28-2005, 03:23 AM

sounds to me like u just want attention, seriously though $1k, even somebody at McDonalds can earn this
Closed Thread