Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Mid-, High-Stakes Pot- and No-Limit Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-08-2005, 04:07 PM

Default taking shots in bigger NL games

so on party do i need to learn to play 6 max, or is it worth just tying a few shots at the bigger game? it seems like there's very few being spread between $400 and $2k.

also, whats a normal "shot" for NL, in terms of buyins? I guess this is more of a risk of ruin question, and also how tough the $2k game is. Say, for a winning player (which i hope i am), how likely would i be to make it if i just set 3 buyins aside for a shot? or 5? or 10?
Old 10-08-2005, 04:13 PM

Default Re: taking shots in bigger NL games

I'd say set aside whatever you feel comfortable gambling with and try it out. The 2k game plays much different than the 400 game, so I would expect to drop a little getting adjusted. Starting with just 3 buyins you'd have to start off with a decent hot streak to make it, obviously the more buyins the better chance of staying at the higher limit. I think if you could afford to set aside 10 and you're a winning player you would have a good chance of making it.

One idea for you to consider, try a different site. Many sites may not have as many tables at each limit, but they have a couple tables at each limit, allowing you to work up more gradually. Either way, good luck and definitely post some hands at your new limit.

JKratzer
Old 10-08-2005, 04:19 PM

I've taken shots with as much as 100% of my bankroll on the table in a live, uncapped game. Naturally, the game has to be just right for this to happen. I don't play poker for a living, so taking calculated risks like this allowed me to move up in limits fairly quickly for someone who logs very few hours playing. And it doesn't matter much if I fail because I still have my job to pay the bills and get my roll started again.
Old 10-08-2005, 04:28 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I'd say set aside whatever you feel comfortable gambling with and try it out. The 2k game plays much different than the 400 game, so I would expect to drop a little getting adjusted. Starting with just 3 buyins you'd have to start off with a decent hot streak to make it, obviously the more buyins the better chance of staying at the higher limit. I think if you could afford to set aside 10 and you're a winning player you would have a good chance of making it.

[/ QUOTE ]

Yeah, i think 5 would probably be the most that i'd want to gamble with right away in a game that i'm not sure what edge i'd have. also, i feel like unless i ran real bad and dropped it right away i could probably at least get a feel for the game after that, and get an idea for how good/bad people are playing. if i took only 5, would that even be worth it, or would there be too little of a chance of making it (even if i play well)?

[ QUOTE ]
One idea for you to consider, try a different site. Many sites may not have as many tables at each limit, but they have a couple tables at each limit, allowing you to work up more gradually. Either way, good luck and definitely post some hands at your new limit.

[/ QUOTE ]

This is a good idea as well. what sites are good and at least decent sized? i know pstars has pretty good amount, but i'd have trouble getting a lot of money in there through NETeller... but if the games are good there i suppose i could just spend a little time building up in the smaller NL games there. what are some others though that have midsized NL games?
Old 10-08-2005, 04:31 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I've taken shots with as much as 100% of my bankroll on the table in a live, uncapped game. Naturally, the game has to be just right for this to happen. I don't play poker for a living, so taking calculated risks like this allowed me to move up in limits fairly quickly for someone who logs very few hours playing. And it doesn't matter much if I fail because I still have my job to pay the bills and get my roll started again.

[/ QUOTE ]

yeah, it'd be nice if i could do this, but unfortunately poker is my only source of income. my main problem is that i'm very over-rolled for the $200 and $400 games, but maybe a little underexperienced at NL for the $2k game.
Old 10-08-2005, 04:48 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

yeah, it'd be nice if i could do this, but unfortunately poker is my only source of income. my main problem is that i'm very over-rolled for the $200 and $400 games, but maybe a little underexperienced at NL for the $2k game.

[/ QUOTE ]
how about learning to beat 6max? will make you a more complete player anyway. and it's much more fun...
Old 10-08-2005, 06:57 PM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

GAMBOOOOOOOOOOOOL
Old 10-08-2005, 07:41 PM

if Poker is your only source of income I highly advise against taking a shot.

If you are going to take a shot it should be with money you really wont miss.
Old 10-08-2005, 07:49 PM

I don't know of any site in particular that has a good range, but if you got money on a couple different sites (stars, prima, ub, ftp, etc.) then you could have many sites to choose from in order to play as many tables as you want. I'm facing the same issues as you right now, and I usually play the 1 600 table or 1 1000 game on party, in addition to the occasional prima and stars table.

Hope that helps,
JKratzer
Old 10-08-2005, 07:54 PM

all you guys waiting to learn sh'ed, the clock is ticking.