Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > General Poker Discussion > Beginners Questions
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06-01-2004, 07:07 PM

Default Re: Unsettling Bot News

Hey Kev, am I in your PT database? I hope i'm one of the guys in the "+" column [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]

I changed computers and never reloaded PT, lazy bum that i am. I miss that program telling me that A7s UTG is costing me dearly....
Old 06-01-2004, 07:09 PM

[ QUOTE ]
People always say in Party that when they type "nh" and the opponent doesnt reply... it's a bot.

[/ QUOTE ]

More likely they don't reply because they're playing 4 tables. Not too long ago, someone on party typed, "Say something so I know you're not a bot".

I responded, "I'm not programmed to chat".
Old 06-01-2004, 07:27 PM

I'm a poker player and a programmer, and I believe that writing a really good poker bot is a formidable, but perhaps not impossible task. For starters, consider how many situations come up at a poker table. You have to code for every one of them. I don't think it would be too tough to write a bot to play ABC poker to beat soft low limit games, and with multiple accounts playing multiple tables 24/7, you could probably make significant money playing. .50/1.00 or 1/2. If you want to be able to beat decent players, or even not-so-good players who have some experience and pay attention to their opponents, it gets a lot more difficult. You would, at a minimum, need to use some game theory to mix up strategies and do some random bluffing and semi-bluffing. If your bot plays the same hand the same way every time, any decent player is likely to figure out how to beat it, even if they don't know it's a bot.
Old 06-01-2004, 07:27 PM

to cardcounter.... that was my first thought when told this. I figured the pro just wants the online players to go to the B&M games where HE has the advantage.
Old 06-01-2004, 08:06 PM

My general thought on this is that yes, people have written and will write some very good bots. Even a barely profitable bot (which is not hard to write) is very bad for the future of the online game. However, the online sites all know this, so I'm sure they are going to be investing VERY heavily to counter any automated playing programs. This will be an interesting battle and will go on for quite some time IMO.
Old 06-01-2004, 08:08 PM

Location: Pittsburgh Pa (North Suburb called Cranberry Township)

Here's what I have (138 hands)

Weak tight and passive on every street decent starters but plays some out of posiiton xxxxvol pf xxx preflop raise. Only goes to showdown 15pct so move him off his hands - especially the non-raises on the flop
Old 06-01-2004, 08:23 PM

Wow Kev, whatta weak/tight loser! Hopefully the P&L is okay! P.S. I hope thats a long time ago....
Old 06-01-2004, 08:24 PM

[ QUOTE ]
My general thought on this is that yes, people have written and will write some very good bots. Even a barely profitable bot (which is not hard to write) is very bad for the future of the online game. However, the online sites all know this, so I'm sure they are going to be investing VERY heavily to counter any automated playing programs. This will be an interesting battle and will go on for quite some time IMO.

[/ QUOTE ]

Actually, it should not be difficult for the sites to make it virtually impossible for 'bots to play without a human to do the clicking. Simply varying the screen layout, buttons, etc once in awhile would do it, tho human players might get annoyed. I am sure there are other methods. Some web sites require the user to interpret a screen picture to prove they are human.

I would be more afraid of a 'bot/human combination. I believe this has much more potential than turning loose a 'bot.
Old 06-01-2004, 08:34 PM

Location: Pittsburgh Pa (North Suburb called Cranberry Township)

No offense meant, I just copy/pasted what I had. It was March and you were -15.43 BB/100. You were probably just running into a cold deck and playing accordingly.

Cheers.
Kevin
Old 06-01-2004, 10:10 PM

I think that bots are out there, and some are probably decent programs at the lower levels. As someone mentioned multiple accounts can most likely make a decent amount of money too.

I however dont think that that bots are very damaging, and I dont think that the internet sites will do much about them unless they show some real damage.

Think about this....
Most of the bots are most likely not opperating above the 2-4 and maybe 3-6 level at best. They dont pose much of a threat against any good player, the bad players will be losing their money to someone anyways. The program cant be much better then the programmer.

If the poker sites wanted to eliminate bots they could do so in one small patch. They wont.... why? Because bots are good for them... they can play more raked hands/day then anyone.

If you have a suspision that someone is a bot... why complain? get poker tracker... study the bot and rob him blind.

I just dont forsee this being a problem for a long time.

Eventually someone will make a good bot, and put it on the market. When this happens it could get ugly for a while. At this point online sites will be forced to do somethign about it... until then they simply arent an issue. I dont forsee this happening any time soon... Any one smart enough to make a bot that works is probably smart enough to know they would make more money using it then selling it.