Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Mid-, High-Stakes Pot- and No-Limit Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 03-25-2004, 06:17 PM

Default Re: J2, Brute?

Tighty's call is correct as long as the all-in guy doesn't have two pair beat. Even by percentages he's probably right unless button all-in has no spunk in him.

So yes, I was giving him odds to call in order to get his incorrect river payoff when he missed. Give a little to get a lot.

The same 9-out situation comes up all the time with flush draws. With the flush draw they won't give you a nickel on the river, so you want to blow them off the hand. Here it's same number of outs but the river equity makes you play it very differently.

Ok, now we're talking beer. Chimay is auto disqualification because Belgians put fruit in their beer (truly inexcusable) and Chimay is guilty by association plus it's overpriced.

I like Anchor Liberty Ale, most porters, Guinness (regular much more than the extra stout), and anything that requires a fork. Negro Modelo or Maker's Mark for breakfast unless it's pot limit. Single malt scotch always. I like to discuss them extensively with the waitress at the Bellagio, then order the most expensive one with Coke. For the caramel additive flavoring and general pot limit debauchery, I like Crown Royal. Lace curtain Irish and all.

Alas, I have never had Crystal champaigne. ever since Max Rubin called it "liquid fog" I have craved a taste.

Matt
Old 03-25-2004, 06:21 PM

What the heck are you doing at Fair Oaks and Colorado in Pasadena? My grandmother lives a few blocks from there. Next time I'm visiting her we shall converge on that bar and I will drink your putrid Belgian swill.

Sadly the rest of the world cannot hold a candle to California for beer and wine access. We cannot get Arrogant Bastard or Dead Guy here in Raleigh. It's almost criminal.

Matt
Old 03-25-2004, 06:39 PM

I like your drinking style, Matt.

An old useful thread

Old Potrero, btw, is brought to us by the nice folks at Anchor.
Old 03-25-2004, 07:35 PM

Default lil\' ol\' lady from pasadena...

Old 03-25-2004, 07:54 PM

i guess you gotta be pretty sure of your opponents hand. when JT pops up its hard for a draw to be out of the question and still even if you do know he has TPTK i think you can still give him a bad price for his draw and still get a call.

boos: i shoulda known you bay area guys would be partial to anchor...in so cal we have to go for stone brewery (arrogant). i heard about cristal champagne in Uston's Million Dollar Blackjack...he said Dom was shiat in comparison and he was right. my brother and i bought 12 bottles in late '98 at $125 a bottle kept 2 for ourselves and sold the other 10 at $890 a bottle on e-bay just before the millenium. YUM!
Old 03-25-2004, 08:31 PM

What vintage did you get people to pay you $890/bottle for, limon? Given the great vintages you can get for $150-ish, I can't imagine paying that much, but I do know people were paying some ridiculous prices for sold out vintages around the millenium. I agree Cristal is great, but think good years of Dom and Veuve Grand Dame as well as a few others are very comparable.
Old 03-25-2004, 08:47 PM

i want to say '89. my brother actually came up with the idea i just bankrolled it. i figured it was win/win since if we couldnt unload the stuff my wife would love to have it at the house for parties, special occasions and such.
Old 03-25-2004, 08:55 PM

[ QUOTE ]
i figured it was win/win since if we couldnt unload the stuff...

[/ QUOTE ]

Here's a similar strategy. Around Christmas-time, buy a lot of really nice bottles of wine and liquor to take as gifts to parties. Then, every party evening, take a look at that stuff and then stop by Safeway for something cheaper to take to the party.
Old 03-25-2004, 09:26 PM

[ QUOTE ]
3 best beers:

1. chimay (purple 9%)
2. Arrogant Bastard
3. Dead Guy

[/ QUOTE ]

Ask 100 people and you will get 300 "best beers" or close to it. Don't like the Belgians - they tast sour to me.

1. Wildcat IPA (Snoqualmie Falls Brewery, Wa State) A really incredible beer
2. Sierra Nevada Celebration Ale (Seasonal, hard to find outside of Chino)
3. BJ India Pale Ale (local brew pub)

Obviously I am a hophead.
Old 03-26-2004, 04:02 AM

[ QUOTE ]

3 best beers:

1. chimay (purple 9%)
2. Arrogant Bastard
3. Dead Guy

[/ QUOTE ]

If you like Chimay, try Kwak. Extremely tasty, and served in an amazingly irritating glass which is more like a large test tube, which has a round bottom so you can't put it down on the table and need to use a wooden retort stand supplied by the barman.

Those crazy Belgians.

Me, I prefer English beer.

Guy.