Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > 2+2 Communities > Other Other Topics
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

View Poll Results: If I am staying on Stars, what should I do?
Build up enough of a BR at the $6.50s to handle variance at $25+$2 13 40.63%
Keep trying the $16s 10 31.25%
Take a shot at $25+$2, move back down if I drop 5-6 buyins 9 28.13%
Voters: 32. You may not vote on this poll

Old 11-18-2005, 07:51 PM

Default Re: whiskeytown,

Just curious, where are you from Blarg?
Old 11-18-2005, 07:53 PM

I'm in L.A. now, but grew up in Guam and Hawaii.
Old 11-18-2005, 07:54 PM

[ QUOTE ]
That's no joke. The income tax can make a huge difference in the quality of your life. 8.25% sales tax, too.

[/ QUOTE ]

the taxes usually already offset cost of living, housing and such. for example, virginia has lower income tax than maryland. consequently, house prices in maryland are 10+% lower than comparable houses across the potomac. i imagine real estate in minnesota is dirt cheap compared to east coast cities.
Old 11-18-2005, 08:00 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
That's no joke. The income tax can make a huge difference in the quality of your life. 8.25% sales tax, too.

[/ QUOTE ]

the taxes usually already offset cost of living, housing and such. for example, virginia has lower income tax than maryland. consequently, house prices in maryland are 10+% lower than comparable houses across the potomac. i imagine real estate in minnesota is dirt cheap compared to east coast cities.

[/ QUOTE ]

California has the highest income tax brackets in the country and some of the highest housing costs.
Old 11-18-2005, 08:05 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
The Lord our God in His infinite wisdom created PMs, IMs etc. for a reason.

[/ QUOTE ]

but if i had PMed him there would be no group discussion.. this has to be done intervention style

[/ QUOTE ]

Agreed. WT is a guy with a heart of gold, an innocent childlike view of mankind,and the weight of the world on his shoulders. I learned a lot about him when he visited NYC for a weekend, this is a man that needs to move away from his troubles and start fresh and new. I don't think he can do that staying in Minnesota (not that there is anything wrong with the state, its just not right for him).

TT [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]
Old 11-18-2005, 08:06 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

California has the highest income tax brackets in the country and some of the highest housing costs.

[/ QUOTE ]

well, there are exceptions. california is a nice place to live, so that's always in demand.
Old 11-18-2005, 08:09 PM

Yup. If you've never seen them, you'd be amazed at the houses going for half a million and more in ordinary neighborhoods. Really cheaply built -- California construction is amazingly bad! -- and on postage stamp sized lot with the front door pretty damn close to the road, and if there's a front yard, there's almost guaranteed no back yard. And sometimes so little sideyard connecting front and back that all you have is a narrow walkway. You can hear your neighbors brush their teeth. These are the houses that used to be lived in by postmen and grocery store clerks when they were first built, and now they are lived in by people who are at least borderline rich and will be once they sell the house.

It provokes a strange sense of dissonance when you walk into these cardboard houses and see dramatically expensive furnishings completely out of sync with the look of the outside of the house. That's because in a way, in California, you are generally much richer than your house looks unless you're fantastically rich.

The top ten most expensive places to live in the U.S. usually have a good number of California cities in them.

And the services are crap.
Old 11-18-2005, 08:11 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

well, there are exceptions. california is a nice place to live, so that's always in demand.

[/ QUOTE ]

Not necessarily. It just has a lot of jobs and a lot of dreams, and that's always in demand. The quality of life is much less solid than the number of jobs, even though we usually have very bad unemployment.
Old 11-18-2005, 08:14 PM

Cheer up Blarg. Remember California is one of the most beautiful places on earth and LA p*ker action IS the best on earth.
Old 11-18-2005, 08:15 PM

If you are a fan of the outdoors Montana is THE place to live in the US. Great fishing, hunting, hiking, skiing, snowmobiling etc. It is also a beautiful state.