Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Micro-Limits
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-03-2005, 08:01 PM

Default Poor Slowplay

villain is tight and moderatly agressive. I assumed his 3 bet meant some strenght, but I know he is also capable of making this move with a less than premium holding. On the flop I wanted to slowplay hoping that he would bet a lot of good hands that missed this flop such as 99-QQ and AQ or some such. I was planning to raise the turn no matter what came, except maybe and ace. I hit my money card on the turn so I was planning on raising, but for some reason i didnt follow through. I guess I was afraid of losing him with the raise. I think this was my critical mistake because I still have no idea as to what he has and I missed a good chance to get another bet. The river isnt particuarly scary as I know he doesnt have an 8, but a FH is still a posibilitiy. Should I have capped this river? I think that was another mistake I made. Ok, whos first to tell me how bad I messed this up [img]/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img]

Party Poker 0.5/1 Hold'em (9 handed) converter

Preflop: Hero is Button with J[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img], K[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img].
<font color="#666666">6 folds</font>, <font color="#CC3333">Hero raises</font>, <font color="#CC3333">SB 3-bets</font>, <font color="#666666">1 fold</font>, Hero calls.

Flop: (7 SB) 8[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img], 6[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img], K[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">SB bets</font>, Hero calls.

Turn: (4.50 BB) Q[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">SB bets</font>, Hero calls.

River: (6.50 BB) 8[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">SB bets</font>, <font color="#CC3333">Hero raises</font>, <font color="#CC3333">SB 3-bets</font>, <font color="#CC3333">Hero caps</font>, SB calls.

Final Pot: 14.50 BB
Old 07-03-2005, 08:13 PM

Default Re: Poor Slowplay

I've learned (mainly from the people on the board lighting me up once or twice) that any post whose title involves the word slowplay is an ugly hand in micro limit.
Raise that flop, cap if need be
Raise that turn, cap if need be
I might not fight on this river but I think your still good here I'd raise and call a 3 bet, cause I could see SB play a lot of rivers this way bassed on your passiveness throughout the hand.
You lost bets and may have given him this hand.
You have so much equity cram this pot.
Old 07-03-2005, 08:16 PM

Raise the flop. You have top pair and the second nuts flush draw. If he 3-bets you might slow down, but then at least you have some idea about the strength of his hand.

Raise the turn, and cap it. You are ahead of everything except an ace high flush which is going to be very rare in this case.

If he leads into you on the river, I would raise it once more, and call a 3-bet. The fact that the river paired shouldn't matter. Mind you, if he just calls your turn raise, then 3-bets the river, you know you're screwed.
Old 07-03-2005, 08:20 PM

Here's my take. SB probable has some type of premium holding. I think your flop call is OK, but I think I might've raised on the flop for value, and capped if given the chance. You have a very strong hand heads up.

On the turn, if I had played the flop as you did, I wouldve definately raised here. You have the 2nd nuts, get those raises and reraises in while you can. Youre not going to scare opponent off after his raise preflop. He could have a pair (AK) two pair (KQ) a set (QQ) he could have an ace high flush redraw with something like AA or any of the other mentioned pairs.

On the river you have no idea what he holds becasue you have gained no information on the previous streets. Here, I don't know if I'd cap, I think I would call the three bet. Even though villain has no reason to beleive you have him beat, the action seems to indicate theres a good chance he filled up with that river. However , if you read him to be aggressive enough to 3 bet the river with something like AA, KQ, or AK here because he suspects your holding is weak, cap it.
Old 07-03-2005, 08:34 PM

yeah this hand really bugged me cause I almost never slowplay... at these limits I play pretty straightforward and it works well. I think i had a temporary case of fancy play syndrome. My whole line the the hand was totally off.
Old 07-03-2005, 08:57 PM

Default When to slowplay

You slowplay when you know others will do the betting and raising for you (excuse the hijack):

Preflop: You are UTG with K[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img], Q[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img].
<font color="#CC3333">You raise</font>, <font color="#666666">1 fold</font>, MP2 calls, <font color="#666666">1 fold</font>, Button calls, SB calls, <font color="#666666">1 fold</font>.

Flop: (9 SB) A[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img], T[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img], 9[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(4 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">SB bets</font>, You call, <font color="#CC3333">MP2 raises</font>, <font color="#CC3333">Button 3-bets</font>, <font color="#CC3333">SB caps</font>, You call, MP2 calls, Button calls.

In your hand you have to make as much money as possible from only one good player, not a bunch of maniacs.
Old 07-03-2005, 08:59 PM

Default Re: When to slowplay

[ QUOTE ]
You slowplay when you know others will do the betting and raising for you

[/ QUOTE ]

Agreed
Old 07-04-2005, 12:17 AM

thx all. BTW if you were curious the villain had QQ. Thems the breaks I guess.
Old 07-04-2005, 04:08 AM

I think the flop call is fine

raise the turn
and don't cap the river
Old 07-04-2005, 05:49 AM

Raise the turn, helps you with what to do on the river.