Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Pot-, No-Limit Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12-13-2005, 10:48 PM

Default AJs hits on the turn

$25 on poker room. No reads.

Pre Flop
folded to me, I raise to $1 in the cut off with A [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] J [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] button calls, and both blinds fold. Pot: 2.40

Flop K [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] 5 [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] 5 [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]

I bet 1.5 and the button calls. Pot: $5.40

Turn A [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img].

I check, button bets $2 and i call. Pot: $9.30

River 10 [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]

I bet $4

is bet folding the turn here better than check calling and leading, and why?
Old 12-13-2005, 11:05 PM

Default Re: AJs hits on the turn

I like the flop bet, I'd go ahead and lead the turn for maybe $3-5 to see how he reacts. While we might be behind to trip 5's (or spliting with another ace) I don't want to give him a free chance to draw at a flush (for example suppose he has KQ [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] here...he could easily check it through now that he picked up a flush draw and the ace scares him).

J
Old 12-13-2005, 11:06 PM

Default Re: AJs hits on the turn

Leading (or check-raising) is better because now you are letting him define his odds (if he is on a draw). He can easily have a flush draw here and semi-bluff. So make him pay, but if you meet to much resistance and he is tight, slow down and check/call or check/fold after the river depending on your read.

The river is a bad card for you, so be careful. You are behind a lot of cards that a player at the button at low stakes can call a preflop raise with (KT, AT, QJ, TT etc). I can't say you river bet is bad. It's a decent value bet, so if he raises you can be pretty sure you are behind, and, at NL25, players can even call and pay you of with a king.