Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Pot-, No-Limit Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12-13-2005, 10:43 PM

Default Still Shaking about this hand..... Help needed

Hey guys I need some input about this hand. I am trying to not be a fish anymore. Please tell me what you think.....
I reposted this b/c it was in the wrong forum before.

PokerStars No-Limit Hold'em, $0.02 BB (5 handed) converter

SB ($1.63)
BB ($2)
UTG ($3.63)
Hero ($0.88)
Button ($2.36)

Preflop: Hero is MP with J[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img], A[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img].
<font color="#666666">1 fold</font>, <font color="#CC3333">Hero raises to $0.07</font>, Button calls $0.07, <font color="#666666">1 fold</font>, BB calls $0.05.

Flop: ($0.22) A[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img], 7[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img], 9[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(3 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">BB bets $0.02</font>, <font color="#CC3333">Hero raises to $0.06</font>, Button calls $0.06, BB calls $0.04.

Turn: ($0.40) T[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(3 players)</font>
BB checks, <font color="#CC3333">Hero bets $0.1</font>, Button calls $0.10, BB calls $0.10.

River: ($0.70) T[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(3 players)</font>
BB checks, <font color="#CC3333">Hero bets $0.2</font>, Button calls $0.20, <font color="#CC3333">BB raises to $1.4</font>, Hero folds, Button folds.

Final Pot: $2.50
Old 12-13-2005, 10:49 PM

Default Re: Still Shaking about this hand..... Help needed

Bet 0,15 or more after the flop. I would bet 0,20 - 0,35.

Make bets that are respectable, at least half the pot. By betting like you did, you are giving them good odds with drawing hands. Good fold at the end though.
Old 12-13-2005, 10:50 PM

The thing about AJ is that your kicker sucks and it can be a real trap hand if you're not careful. PFR is fine, I'd raise it more on the flop (maybe .15-.25) and take it from there. When button coldcalls the flop raise and the BB comes along too I'm definitely not in love with my hand anymore.

J
Old 12-13-2005, 10:51 PM

Thanks! its nice for someone to take the time to put input. I apperciate it. Also thanks for the compliment about the laydown, it was a tough one.
Old 12-13-2005, 10:52 PM

AJs are not such a good hand, but considering there are only five players at the table, your raise are ok. You should bet more preflop too, though. At least 4 x BB.

EDIT: changed flop to preflop
Old 12-13-2005, 10:52 PM

First, buyin to the max ($2). Preflop is fine, but on the flop you need to reraise more if you gonna raise, make it atleast $0.20. The hand will play differently then. Also, bet more on the turn and river.

As for how it was played, you have any reads on BB? It doesn't seem like a ten since he bet the flop, unless he had a pair on the flop with a ten kicker. But I'll probably fold the river, might be a flopped set too that was slowplaying. But since it's NL$2 people do random things. It's hard without reads.
Old 12-13-2005, 10:55 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I am trying to not be a fish anymore

[/ QUOTE ]

Also, just wanted to add that you won't be if you keep posting hands...we all have to start somewhere.

[img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]
J
Old 12-13-2005, 11:02 PM

Default Was this a quality laydown?

Was this a quality laydown?
Old 12-13-2005, 11:34 PM

Default Re: Was this a quality laydown?

[ QUOTE ]
Was this a quality laydown?

[/ QUOTE ]

Meh...I think you made the proper play (eventually [img]/images/graemlins/tongue.gif[/img] ), but you lost too much money. If you make a larger raise on the flop and they still both call I think you can be done with the hand at that point and have a clear conscience. As played you lost $0.33, if make a bigger raise on the flop (lets say 0.20) and then check/fold you only lose $0.27 (even if you raise it to a quarter on the flop you still lose less $0.32 vs. $0.33)...saving those little bets adds up over time, and more importantly making the proper raises helps to put you in a position to win more pots.

J
Old 12-14-2005, 12:02 AM

Given the stakes, I think you should be more aggro PF. Remember that your opponent are thinking, "it's only 15 cents" not "its 150 dollars" or "its a house" and they will gladly leak money to you when you ask for it.

Your flop raise was an error. Not the fact that you raised, but the ammount of your raise. You need to make a stiff raise -- a pot-sized raise. In this case, that means making it 0.28 to go.

[ QUOTE ]
I am trying to not be a fish anymore.

[/ QUOTE ]

You have already made a quantum leap compared to 90% of the poker playing population. To paraphrase another poster, we all did start somewhere.

Welcome to the forums.