Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > 2+2 Communities > Other Other Topics
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

View Poll Results: WCOOP Event #9 ($300+$20 Limit Stud, Monday 9/12, 3pm EST)
>600 4 19.05%
500-600 5 23.81%
300-400 8 38.10%
<300 4 19.05%
Voters: 21. You may not vote on this poll

Old 12-07-2005, 12:28 PM

Default Re: Best Old School Video Game of All Time; Round of 32

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
That the original Zelda for NES is not on here makes me sad.

[/ QUOTE ]

I agree 100%. That was one of the first things I saw in this poll and it made me sick.

[/ QUOTE ]

A Link to the Past is a straight up better game than the original Zelda, period.

10 reasons "A Link to the Past" is better than "Legend of Zelda"

1) The graphics are better
2) In "A Link to the Past", you get the ability to run around faster very early (Pegasus Boots). This makes running around the world a lot less tedious.
3) There's a lot less "trying" crap. For example, there is no indication in the second quest that you can walk through walls until you actually do it.
4) Similarly, it's actually possible to find everything without spending hours burning every tree and bombing every rock and blowing the whistle in every screen. Remember trying to find level 8 in the second quest? Yeah.
5) The items are cooler.
6) "A Link to the Past" had fun minigames.
7) With the whole "Master Sword"/"Dark World" plot, you get a nice boost of accomplishment in the middle of the game. Then you go "oh, crap". Great story/gameplay. Legend of Zelda is much more of a grind.
8) The enemies are more interesting when they're not restricted to all be the same size. There are no piehats in Zelda 3. The bosses are also a lot more interesting.
9) Multi-leveled dungeons made them more fun and increased the puzzle possibilities.
10) The story was a lot better, Link and Zelda and Aganhim and Sahasrahla (sp?) all at least have some sort of personality. The entire plof of Legend of Zelda is contained in the game's opening sequence which you might not even see if you just press start immediately. It's just "ok, kill a bunch of crap and free the princess".

Now, don't get me wrong. It's a great game and I loved it and beat it multiple times. But, a Link to the past is better.

[/ QUOTE ]

absolutely hands down you have become my favorite poster. Im not sure if I'd rather play against you in some video games or start some random nerd argument... sounds like fun either way.

River City Ransom... dear god someone just tell me what happens when you beat it, I never have, and likely never will.

ty.
Old 12-07-2005, 12:34 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
where is ninja gaiden?

[/ QUOTE ]

It should be here instead of Blaster Master. Argh, good catch.

[/ QUOTE ]
No way dude. Blaster Master was way ahead of it's time. That was an incredible game and I think having it on the list was a good touch. The top 64 teams in the country don't always make the NCAA tournament.... uh oh, I am talking about sports now. I must be a dumb jock!!!!

(Goes back to playing Mario and Luigi: Partners in Time on DS)
tpir

[/ QUOTE ]

Maybe Populous II, then? I feel like an idiot for not including Ninja Gaiden but I don't know who should have come out for it.
Old 12-07-2005, 12:35 PM

I guess i wasn't really around for the nominations in this poll and maybe i'm missing something; but the simple fact that both Duckhunt and Blades of Steel arn't here is unforgivable.
Old 12-07-2005, 12:37 PM

Location: download an irc client at www.hydrairc.com (freeware not spyware), connect to irc.efnet.net, and join the channel #twoplustwo to chat live with other 2+2 posters

[ QUOTE ]
Forgive me for speaking so bluntly sir, but that pick makes me want to puke my guts out.

[/ QUOTE ]

omg, are you using an american beauty 'quote'? [img]/images/graemlins/frown.gif[/img]

you may be the worst movie quoter ever
Old 12-07-2005, 12:39 PM

Location: download an irc client at www.hydrairc.com (freeware not spyware), connect to irc.efnet.net, and join the channel #twoplustwo to chat live with other 2+2 posters

p.s. you guys need to replay river city ransom to see how much you like it now. i absolutely loved it then too.
Old 12-07-2005, 12:40 PM

yeah, I might try it out.
Old 12-07-2005, 12:44 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I guess i wasn't really around for the nominations in this poll and maybe i'm missing something; but the simple fact that both Duckhunt

[/ QUOTE ]

Old 12-07-2005, 12:44 PM

[ QUOTE ]
p.s. you guys need to replay river city ransom to see how much you like it now. i absolutely loved it then too.

[/ QUOTE ]
River City Ransom EX for Gameboy Advance is very good if people are not down with emulators for some reason.
Old 12-07-2005, 12:47 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Maybe Populous II, then? I feel like an idiot for not including Ninja Gaiden but I don't know who should have come out for it.

[/ QUOTE ]
Maybe. I think you included enough of the top PC games (X-Com, Doom, etc.) and maybe could have left off Populous.
Old 12-07-2005, 01:13 PM

I realise this has been mentioned before but I'm going to harp on it again... This is NOT and "Old School" poll, it's more like "Middle School". It'd be like doing a "Classic Rock" poll and starting with Nirvana...