Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > General Poker Discussion > Beginners Questions
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-27-2004, 04:21 AM

Default Re: ed millers quiz

BTW, on the KJ one, would it be correct to check the turn if you had AK instead, and you were vs. an aggressive player?? I think its a pretty easy bet in his question, but if I had AK in that spot I'd be more inclined to mix it up and check occasionally, since AK has more showdown value.

Yes, this is definitely right. It's especially true if your opponent might try a check-raise bluff. HPFAP talks a lot about checking hands like that.
Old 11-27-2004, 04:26 AM

8/8! But these questions seem SO familiar....

I considered this a "fundamentals" quiz. Some of the other quizzes are a little more daring, but this one I consider a "if you get any of the eight questions wrong, you have a significant, fundamental problem," quiz.

Also, this will unfortunately be my last quiz for a while. [img]/images/graemlins/frown.gif[/img] CGTV decided to stop supporting their website indefinitely. I'll let you know if they start it back up.

I'm considering taking these quizzes, writing a bunch more, and releasing them in book form. It wouldn't be for months that I got around to it, but it's on the back burner.
Old 11-27-2004, 04:47 AM

Isn't there some value in just calling hand #6 on the flop?

[ QUOTE ]
You raise. MrBingle calls on the button. The big blind, brassrat, also calls, as do the two limpers. The pot is five ways for two bets each. The flop is 1095. Brassrat and the first limper check. The second limper, Dangermaus, bets. What should you do? (You have KJ.)

[/ QUOTE ]

"You have a gutshot draw, and the pot odds are favorable for drawing to it" is not the reason I'd give, "I like calling and trying to get Brassrat and the first limper to call" is what I was thinking.
Old 11-27-2004, 10:30 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Also, this will unfortunately be my last quiz for a while. [img]/images/graemlins/frown.gif[/img] CGTV decided to stop supporting their website indefinitely. I'm considering taking these quizzes, writing a bunch more, and releasing them in book form. It wouldn't be for months that I got around to it, but it's on the back burner.

[/ QUOTE ]

Sad to hear that, they were great and they fit the (interactive) web better then a book imho. If I were you I'd contact a bunch of more "regular papers" maybe in Vegas or whatever. I don't think it's impossible to get in a column in one of these. Poker is on a roll now and you have the knowledge AND the writing skill which separates you from many others. Give it a shot! /v
Old 11-27-2004, 03:39 PM

Ed--This would be an excellent book. I think you should also consider publishing the quizzes as a deck of cards with the answers/explanations on the back. This way we could carry them around conveniently and shuffle them so that the subject (chapter) is not known prior to reading the problem. Eight BTW.
Old 11-27-2004, 05:13 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I'm considering taking these quizzes, writing a bunch more, and releasing them in book form. It wouldn't be for months that I got around to it, but it's on the back burner.

[/ QUOTE ]
I suppose this kind of book wouldn't have as broad an audience as your other projects, but I hope it happens. If it isn't too geeky, you might consider using a programmed instruction format like this math book.
Old 11-27-2004, 05:41 PM

2+2 books too geeky???!?!

NEVER!!!!
Old 11-27-2004, 07:44 PM

That's right. Very disappointing. I need another read through the postflop concepts as soon as I'm done exams.

EDIT: No, I didn't miss question #2. I meant the second question of the two I missed. No no, question #2 was too obvious [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

[ QUOTE ]
Are you saying you missed this one??
You are correct that it was straight out of SSH. In fact, he intros his chapter on post-flop play with almost exactly this situation.

[/ QUOTE ]
Old 11-27-2004, 08:56 PM

you writing material for him?
Old 11-27-2004, 09:07 PM

I definitely qualify on the geek-o-meter.
Unfortunately that's about the only area in which I qualify.

If 2+2 wanted to do a book on 'How to suck and still beat the game every once in awhile' then I'd be their man?

After that I could write a book on 'How to get a book published even if you can't write for crap'

However, it's also possible that Phil Hellmuth already beat me in this area.