Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Pot-, No-Limit Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-07-2005, 09:17 PM

Default Blind battle

Ok, villian has just been around for 20 hands or so. He seems like he is slightly loose pre-flop. Not maniacal though. The only hand I have seen him show down is:

NL100 Full ring

Villian ($80) limps in EP w/ 5 [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] 4 [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img], MP limps, LP ($70) makes it $4, villian is only caller

Flop ($10) 6 [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] 5 [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] 3 [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] (2 players)

Villian checks, LP bets $5, villian calls $5,

Turn ($20) Q [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] (2 players)

Villian checks, LP bets $11, villian check-raises all in for $50 more.

To the hand:

Party Poker No-Limit Hold'em, $ Hero (8 handed) converter

SB ($104.10)
Hero ($102.65)
UTG ($99)
UTG+1 ($120.80)
MP1 ($100)
MP2 ($21.35)
CO ($89.30)
Button ($102.50)

Preflop: Hero is BB with T[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img], K[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]. SB posts a blind of $0.50.
<font color="#666666">6 folds</font>, SB (poster) completes, <font color="#CC3333">Hero raises to $3</font>, SB calls $3.

Flop: ($8) 9[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img], T[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img], 8[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">SB bets $7</font>,

What is heros plan?
Old 10-07-2005, 09:45 PM

Default Re: Blind battle

I'd just call and reevaluate the turn. I don't think you want to put in a bunch of money to potentially fold draws when he could have a made hand when you can get a lot of the same information from just calling the flop and see how much he bets on the turn or if he checks. Plus, I think just calling the flop will send alarm bells to a lot of people which would make their turn bet much more reliable.
Old 10-07-2005, 10:33 PM

I rr to 20 and fold to a 3bet. If he calls and turn adds to coordination on the board I likely fold to any average bet or check behind if I have the opportunity. If it comes uncoord and villain bets then it would depend on amount-if it looks like he's getting committed I fold. If it's lessor then it would be a tough call. If turn comed uncoord and he checks then I consider betting strong again and maybe getting committed even tho this is a pretty weak hand - basically this is correct if he is the type to bet into something and call a raise even when he shouldn't(some seem unable to fold on a betting round once they put money in it unless it close to all in).
Old 10-07-2005, 10:39 PM

So you don't mind being pot committed on the turn? This was one of the main reasons I liked just calling the flop, to try and avoid the situation.

If you have to raise the flop, what about making it a little more, like $30? I think if he calls you're screwed and avoid the turn situation by trying to get to showdown via checking or folding to a bet, and if he 3-bets it's an easy fold. Just seems too many things can happen if the raise is only $20, but may be I'm not appreciating the $20 raise as much as you think the opponent will, or the difference between $20/$30 is not so big after all.
Old 10-07-2005, 10:56 PM

I don't like getting committed on the turn w tpKk but that is an edge I think I would push. Of course I only get committed if it's uncoordinated.

Basically, if I raise to 30 then a flush or str8 draw will likely fold and I'd rather they call without having the odds.

A disaster is if he pushes with a draw or calls with a set or str8. The raise to 20 gives a set or str8 a chance to push if he fears hero is jamming a flush draw - this would be good and hero only looses an additional 13 on the flop. Hero doesn't have a lot of outs so I prefer to define things right away if possible yet not let a draw get away easily.

That's my thinking on it anyway.
Old 10-07-2005, 11:09 PM

Ya, I like your line, trying to price in an incorrect call for a draw. I just gotta wonder how often he has a set or two pair here and is getting your money on the turn especially since he just played a draw by check raising the prior hand hero witnessed. Wondering if folding out the draws compensates for the % of the time you lose your stack by raising to 20.
Old 10-07-2005, 11:16 PM

yeah, it's dangerous. maybe my turn bet wouldn't really qualify as committed... say he calls to 20, turn comes uncoord, he checks, 48 in the pot, I bet ~35. Of course, if he pushes here I really really hate to fold, in fact, I'd call. Villian pushed a draw so if push-means-draw I'm calling. If he size raises then maybe I fold, lol.

It's a rough game.
Old 10-07-2005, 11:30 PM

I call and re-evaluate on the turn. You may pick up a K high flush draw, as well, which would be nice.

Ryan
Old 10-08-2005, 10:09 AM

Kongo, how did this hand go? What were your thoughts on it and what are your thoughts on it now?
Old 10-08-2005, 10:20 AM

I think I'll just call and see what happens on the turn. Villian seems to like to check/raise his draws, not bet out with them. The pot bet seems to be like he has two pair or a set he's protecting. I guess we'll find this out more on the turn. If it's a brick and he bets pot again I let it go, if it makes four to a straight or three to a flush, and he checks then I take the lead. I don't want to create a big pot with TPGK on a draw heavy board.