Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Pot-, No-Limit Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-06-2005, 12:01 AM

Default Re: A A.

[ QUOTE ]
Pardon the plug, but the last Card Player had an article on a very similar situation.

And it encouraged checking the river in this situation.

[/ QUOTE ]

Who wrote it?
Old 10-06-2005, 12:08 AM

check behind on the river.

what kind of hand bets 2 streets then check calls the river?

8T? 87? TT? theres no way he lead the flop and turn with a J.

the only 3 hands that make sense are TT, QQ, or KK and I think you see a reraise from KK preflop.

I think he has JJ.
Old 10-06-2005, 12:36 AM

What are you hoping to accomplish with a minraise?
Old 10-06-2005, 12:55 AM

I like raising the flop. There are a couple of OESDs out there (34 not likely obviously, but possible). But more importantly, I find you are often way ahead here, and you don't want a K or something to fall on the turn and ruin your action. When the straight completes on the turn, slowing down makes sense, and if the straight doesn't complete on the turn I think betting and folding to a check raise is cool. But yeah, I want to raise that flop.

I'm inclined to call if he 3bets the flop big to all-in after you raise. You don't often see sets played that fast on close to totally dry flops. If you see it now, take a note, but I really don't see it much.

As for the river, given how the hand is played, I honestly don't know. Fold is clear enough after he check raises, but I don't know about betting. You think he might be inducing a bluff, but there are no missed draws out there for you to have. And he's really not giving you much credit if he thinks you've been calling him on a pure pair draw. Also, stack size is super awkward for a river bet. Especially since you want it to look like a bluff, so I don't like less than half pot much. But if you bet like $70, you are pot committed. Sucks.
Old 10-06-2005, 08:47 AM

I went to find my copy of the magazine this morning and I can't find it. I'm trying to remember. I think the title was "Checking/Raising the River" or something like that.
Old 10-06-2005, 09:17 AM

I raise the turn to $80 as a free showdown ploy. You put in the same amount of money either way, but this charges one pair to improve and redirects the pressure back at your opponent instead of to you. The only drawkback is that your opponent is unknown and may force you to lay down the best hand if it turns out he is manical or horrible.

[ QUOTE ]
To me, it looks like he is trying to induce a bluff here

[/ QUOTE ]

The first step to picking off a bluff is to name a hand which you can beat, which your opponent could logically hold given all of the action. You cannot hold any bluffing hands here because you called reasonable bets twice on a drawless flop. He must put you on a made hand. He is either checking because he cannot beat your made hand, or because he wants you to bet your made hand. A bet from you is inappropriate in both cases.
Old 10-06-2005, 12:53 PM

Free showdown
Old 10-06-2005, 04:39 PM

Hey, you're back. Cool.
Old 10-06-2005, 04:46 PM

[ QUOTE ]
First off, I raise this flop to $40 - get some information while its still cheap!

1) check behind
2) not sure about the river... You are getting good odds but I don't see him making this move with just an overpair... (KK or QQ) --- so I suppose I lay it down reluctantly.

[/ QUOTE ]

read this month's article on 2+2 magazine regarding raising for information. unless hero has played enough with the villain and can accurately narrow villain's holdings when raising 20bb's on the flop then any raise that he makes should be for value instead. information should be a byproduct and not the purpose for the raise.
Old 10-06-2005, 05:02 PM

</font><blockquote><font class="small">Svar på:</font><hr />
Hey, you're back. Cool.

[/ QUOTE ] Indeed. Welcome back soah.