Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Pot-, No-Limit Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-12-2005, 08:57 PM

Default Re: 2 hands from today.

[ QUOTE ]
Raise the turn for value and hand protection. He could be drawing pretty live with a hand like 67 [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] and be betting small to "freeze" you.

Without a read I would call a push but I am not sure how a typical unknown plays full ring 100NL. If your experience is he isn't three betting all in here without a house then raise and fold to a three bet.

[/ QUOTE ]

Here are some reasons I decided not to raise the turn.

7 6 is a quite unlikely holding for him to limp-call a raise w/ from UTG IMO.

A turn raise will very much give away my holding and allow him to play perfectly.

I am faced w/ a very tough decision if he 3-bets.

If he has what I think is most likely (a middle pair or perhaps even more likelyAA/KK (believe me, I see alot of people limp-calling this from EP)), he might bet the river small but is most certainly folding the turn.

Basically, the only hand raising has any merit against is 7 6s.
Old 09-12-2005, 09:00 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Sure, your getting a weaker Q to call or possibly 67 s00ted. If he calls I'm probably checking behind on the turn and calling a bet or value betting the river. Your probably scared of a tighty holding nothing less than a set on the flop here which is possible but I think you'll see a weaker Q a lot of the time.

[/ QUOTE ]

Still, I have 2 more streets to get proper value from a weaker Q, and 7 6s is really the only holding I have to protect against, which is quite unlikely for him to limp-call UTG w/.
Old 09-12-2005, 09:01 PM

I think you are losing value from worse queens by not raising. BTW you would be surprised how hard most people find it to fold AA/KK even when they are obviously beat.
Old 09-12-2005, 09:03 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I think you are losing value from worse queens by not raising. BTW you would be surprised how hard most people find it to fold AA/KK even when they are obviously beat.

[/ QUOTE ]

I have absolutely no reason to believe he'll call a turn raise and a river bet w/ AA/KK.

Also, 3 of the queens are accounted for, making him holding the last one also very unlikely.
Old 09-12-2005, 10:36 PM

Hand 1: I'm pushing. He hasn't shown any indication on the flop and turn that he has two pair or better.

Hand 2: Are you raising the river if he bets small again? I agree that raising that turn basically just gives away your hand, but I don't see any other way to get more value out of what may be the best hand like 80-90% of the time.
Old 09-13-2005, 07:29 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Still, I have 2 more streets to get proper value from a weaker Q

[/ QUOTE ]

Then why just call the turn?
Old 09-13-2005, 08:07 AM

Hand 1 - I call the river. I don't see a worse hand paying you off here if you raise, and the pot is big enough.

Hand 1 - I am totally lost on why you didn't raise the flop... it's all you could hope for (I can't see suits but from what I gathered they don't play a role), and you really don't have that much to slow-play here. If you think he somehow has you already, that's weak-tight. So raise the flop, check the turn, value bet river would be my standard line.
As things stand... call turn, call a reasonable bet on river/value bet if checked to. Or just check behind. I think the flop play killed the hand, though.

Kirk
Old 09-13-2005, 08:08 AM

First, you played both these hands real weak.

Hand 2: Playing this hand strong solves a lot of your problem of giving away your hand. When he bet into you on the flop, I think that normally means K-Q, mabe Q-Js. Raise the flop and you don't have to worry about giving away your hand. He'll probably think you have an overpair. Then you can bet/raise the turn without him necessarily thinking you have trips. If he plays back at you somewhere along the way, then go from there. But you played the hand (both of them) so weak that it's hard to say what he has.
Old 09-13-2005, 08:11 AM

And on Hand 1, can't you easily see this guy making the same play with K-Q, K-J, or K-10. He bet top pair, didn't let go of it on the turn, and then thought he had the best of it with trips. I don't know what he had, but I think it's trips a good part of the time.
Old 09-13-2005, 08:54 AM

[ QUOTE ]
First, you played both these hands real weak.

Hand 2: Playing this hand strong solves a lot of your problem of giving away your hand. When he bet into you on the flop, I think that normally means K-Q, mabe Q-Js. Raise the flop and you don't have to worry about giving away your hand. He'll probably think you have an overpair. Then you can bet/raise the turn without him necessarily thinking you have trips. If he plays back at you somewhere along the way, then go from there. But you played the hand (both of them) so weak that it's hard to say what he has.

[/ QUOTE ]

If villain has a weaker Q, and hero raises, and villain subsequently believes that hero has an overpair, then surely villain will fold on the flop.

If thats the case then call flop is good, also raise turn is good, and get all-in with villain is also good.