Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Tournament Poker > Multi-table Tournaments
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-19-2005, 06:33 AM

Default Experts, Help Me Evaluate Tournament Results

To all the experts out there, or anyone who may have an opinion, following are actual results from online tournament play, after catching the bug several weeks ago.

As with other forms of risk play and decision making, I try to periodically evaluate my results, to try and learn from what the results say, and what they don't say.

I'm interested in feedback from the local experts, to help me interpret these results and try to learn from them.

My main questions are things like:
- Are the results statistically significant, or still very much in the short run? (I suspect still in the short run)
- Have I just been lucky, or am I'm doing something right?
- At this point in time, am I more suited to one kind of tournament versus another?
- These results are all for no-limit hold'em events. Is there any relevance to these results and limit play results, which aren't nearly as good (albeit over a very small number of hours and hands)?
- Am I cashing enough and making enough FT's to make this a long term proposition? (Follow-up question: How to these results compare with top tournament players, with respect to frequency of being in the cash, making FTs and winning?)

Here's the results and some miscellaneous info:

Total Entry + Fees: $2178.50
Total Prize Money: $4776.50
Total Net: $2598.00

Tournament Entries Cash % FT % WIN
$5 Entry 18 5 27.8% 1 5.6% 0
$10 Entry 17 3 17.6% 2 11.8% 0
$20 Entry 21 4 19.0% 3 14.3% 1
$30 Entry 21 3 14.3% 2 9.5% 1
$40 Entry 12 3 25.0% 2 16.7% 0
$100 Entry 2 0 0.0% 0 0.0% 0

91 18 19.8% 10 11.0%

Miscellaneous Notes:
- The Win in the $20 tournament, and another FT in the $20 tournament, were in the 6-seat format, rather than the 10-seat format.
- Average Win Per Tournament: appx $29
- Most Consecutive Cashes (3 including 2 FTs)
- Longest Spread Between Cashes (14 tournaments)
- Average Amount of Play (1.85 tourneys/day)
- Best "Streak" (7 cashes in 17 tournaments over 5 days, including 5 FTs and 1 W)
- # Tournaments out on the bubble (4)
- # Tournaments To First Time in the Money (8)
- # Tournaments To First FT (17)
- # Tournaments To First Win (28)
- # Tournaments Since Last FT (3)
- # Tournaments Since Last Win (54)
- # of Times where I've knocked myself out of a tournament by a very bad play: At least 5 or 6 that I can remember.

- Extra note: Before starting online play, my tournament experience was limited to 5 live tournaments where the average number of entries was around 90 players. My results in those tournaments aren't as accurately documents, but in general terms are:
# Times in the Money (Top 10, Final Table): 0
# Times out on the Bubble: 1 (11th place)
Other decent finish: 1 (15th place)
# Times out mid-pack: 2
# Times out early: 1