Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Pot-, No-Limit Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12-07-2005, 04:34 PM

Default Re: Quick preflop quiz

[ QUOTE ]
you are reraising a middle position tag player with 99 out of position? What is your play if he reraises. What if he flatcalls and starts calling bets on a big flop? Little flop?

[/ QUOTE ]

How much do you expect to make OOP when you flop a set?
Old 12-07-2005, 04:38 PM

I think a reraise is alright if and only if I have enough information on the TAG that he won't play missed big cards; if TAG calls, SB calls.

Let's say you reraise to 12BB or 16BB. Both players call.

What happens when the flop comes ragged with one ace/king/queen? Do you c/b into TAG and dump it on the turn if he calls (or dump it on the flop if he raises)?

Will TAG raise your flop bet with AQo on a board of K74r?
Old 12-07-2005, 04:46 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I'm interested in hearing Isura's rationale on this. I think I might learn something.

[/ QUOTE ]

The way I see it, a position aware 10% preflop raiser has a fairly wide range opening in MP3. I would say he's opening close to 13% of his hands from MP3. The caller is fairly loose (about 35% VP) and will call a raise with a lot of speculative hands. MP3 has seen SB call, and then me raise. If this is the first time I'm raising the BB in this spot, MP3 is going to be hard pressed to suspect a squeeze play. So he most likely won't play back at me preflop with a worst hand. In that regard, this play is probably marginally +EV with any 2 cards.

I also expect JJ-QQ (and possibly KK) to call my raise with position. So on a Axx or KQx type flop, I can apply pressure on the flop and try to take it down.

Finally, the most important factor for me is implied odds (or rather the lack of it). A good player is not going to go crazy with an overpair in most cases, and he'll just have overcards or random junk the rest of the time. THis is especially try since the pot is multiway. I think most players overestimate implied odds when we are out of position. And I'm sure we all agree that 99 is a tough hand to play as an overpair after the flop. It is just my preference to put the pressure on preflop when I know I have the best hand a huge % of the time. I think I win more money with 99 by playing this way in this spot.

Edited for grammar. [img]/images/graemlins/cool.gif[/img]
Old 12-07-2005, 04:47 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I only see one caller.

[/ QUOTE ]

I meant, so many posters are advocating calling. [img]/images/graemlins/tongue.gif[/img]
Old 12-07-2005, 04:47 PM

Call and play for a set.

Check/fold to a continuation bet if I don't hit a set.

If I hit a set and there are no draws on board, then I either bet 3/4 pot into the preflop raiser or check/call the continuation bet and then bet the turn.

If I hit a set and there are obvious draws on the board, then I pot the flop into the preflop raiser and hope he won't let go of an overpair or TPTK or flush with overcards, or whatever.
Old 12-07-2005, 04:57 PM

Isura:

Quick things:
What do you RR to pre-flop?
If you RR and both call, how do you figure out if you're ahead or behind on the flop and what would make you let it go on the flop and what would make you let it go on the turn?

These are my problems, if I get involved heavy preflop, I have a tough time getting away in borderline situations (ie: RR, both call, flop comes rags, I bet pot, one/two call... I get lost)

Reanalyzing the situation, I think I need to be much more aggressive and RR preflop is probably a better play for us, as TAGs. If it were 77 and lower, I probalby wouldn't make the same move.
Old 12-07-2005, 04:59 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
I'm interested in hearing Isura's rationale on this. I think I might learn something.

[/ QUOTE ]

The way I see it, a position aware 10% preflop raiser has a fairly wide range opening in MP3. I would say he's opening close to 13% of his hands from MP3. The caller is fairly loose (about 35% VP) and will call a raise with a lot of speculative hands. MP3 has seen SB call, and then me raise. If this is the first time I'm raising the BB in this spot, MP3 is going to be hard pressed to suspect a squeeze play. So he most likely won't play back at me preflop with a worst hand. In that regard, this play is probably marginally +EV with any 2 cards.

I also expect JJ-QQ (and possibly KK) to call my raise with position. So on a Axx or KQx type flop, I can apply pressure on the flop and try to take it down.

Finally, the most important factor for me is implied odds (or rather the lack of it). A good player is not going to go crazy with an overpair in most cases, and he'll just have overcards or random junk the rest of the time. THis is especially try since the pot is multiway. I think most players overestimate implied odds when we are out of position. And I'm sure we all agree that 99 is a tough hand to play as an overpair after the flop. It is just my preference to put the pressure on preflop when I know I have the best hand a huge % of the time. I think I win more money with 99 by playing this way in this spot.

Edited for grammar. [img]/images/graemlins/cool.gif[/img]

[/ QUOTE ]

Thank you. I just added another weapon to the arsenal. I would be interested in your thoughts about this sb discussion.
Old 12-07-2005, 05:00 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Isura:

Quick things:
What do you RR to pre-flop?
If you RR and both call, how do you figure out if you're ahead or behind on the flop and what would make you let it go on the flop and what would make you let it go on the turn?

These are my problems, if I get involved heavy preflop, I have a tough time getting away in borderline situations (ie: RR, both call, flop comes rags, I bet pot, one/two call... I get lost)

Reanalyzing the situation, I think I need to be much more aggressive and RR preflop is probably a better play for us, as TAGs. If it were 77 and lower, I probalby wouldn't make the same move.

[/ QUOTE ]

As this post indicates, my reraising range is very situation dependent. But in this case, if I get multiple callers, I play it for set value. I might lose 15bb by reraising and gettign callers, but I don't play to lose any more postflop. If TAG calls, I play carefully, and cont. bet a suitable flop. If SB calls, I compose myself and play poker.
Old 12-07-2005, 06:21 PM

I'm much more inclined to reraise this in position than OOP. I think position is what makes the difference between a call and a reraise.
Old 12-07-2005, 06:32 PM

I agree that implied odds are a big consideration here, and that actually does swing my decision to a raise sometimes. But I'd need a read on my opponenty being especially weak-tight or passive postflop. It's not usually my default play.