Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Pot-, No-Limit Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-29-2005, 09:56 PM

Default Re: Middle set.

dont over think it

you have good hand and many cards kill your action and draws will call despite getting bad odds

3 bet pot raise
Old 11-29-2005, 10:11 PM

[ QUOTE ]
<warning no proof reading done etc>

I think I prefer check-raising the turn here, b/c i think he's gonna feel he has to bet most of his made hands here since the board is so draw heavy he will have to proctect his hand and you're still deep enough that he feels he isn't commited. Yes It's fairly transparent, but still you still easily be c/r'ing a draw on this board (b/c of stack sizes) and even if he doesn't give action that often with a worse
hand taking down flop-pot + turn bet is still a nice scoop with this hand. Even if "disaster" strikes and he checks behind on the turn you stil lhave enough money behind to play poker on any river.
</warning>

[/ QUOTE ]

The c/r has several flaws to it, one being that if I check-raise this turn, all made hands that I beat will prolly let go, except for unlikely bottom set. If I'm going for his stack I gotta bet and give him a chance to over play his over pair/TPTK. Also, a check behind would suck so much for several reasons.
Old 11-29-2005, 11:09 PM

I'm not sure I like 3 betting this flop, I think it really gives away Kongo's hand. Perhaps leading this turn for like $60 would be the correct play, given Villain's aggressiveness. It might convince him that you're weak and get him to come over the top.
Old 11-30-2005, 11:03 AM

Default Thoughts and results

A flop 3-raise I think lets his most likely holding, over pair or TPTK, pretty easily off the hook. The alternative IMO is pushing, representing a monster draw, but people in general have trouble calling those even though it's "obvious" I have a draw (that's why you make them w/ monster draws).

The thoughts about leading weakly on the turn are intereseting and they did not strike me when I played the hand. I don't like check-raising for several reasons: a) he might very well be drawing, b) we're still deep and a check-raise will only be called if beat IMHO (or by a monster draw)(not to say I wouldn't check-raise a draw here, because I would, but I doubt it will be called c) It's quite transparent and he will check a ton of holdings IMO, and there are alot of action-killing/hand-killing river cards I'd hate to see.

Anyway, I bet $90 on turn, he called. River was the 7 [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img], I checked with the intention of calling any bet, he checked behind w/ K K and MHIG.
Old 11-30-2005, 11:08 AM

By semi-thinking, I assume you mean villain can lay down an over pair to aggression? If so, I like the flop call, but would plan on potting that turn. If he has an overpair then he is going to have to decide how far he wants to go. If he has a draw he makes a mistake calling the bet.
Old 11-30-2005, 11:24 AM

Default Re: Thoughts and results

I think you should bet this river. I really don't think he will have any incentive to bluff there river with the interest you have shown in the pot so far. Pots so big that I think you can get some calls here from an over pair or two-pair if he got frisky with TJ on the flop.

As for flop, if you have any good reads on the other 2 in the pot as calling stations and villian is apt to pot the flop after a raise you might consider using your good relative postion to get a big check raise in on the flop. If the other two are fit/fold types of course go with the lead, but just something to consider.

When leading I vote for a closer to pot-size bet, so if he raises it has to be bigger and then you can either 3-bet or lead the turn for a larger amount.
Old 11-30-2005, 11:42 AM

[ QUOTE ]
I think you should bet this river. I really don't think he will have any incentive to bluff there river with the interest you have shown in the pot so far. Pots so big that I think you can get some calls here from an over pair or two-pair if he got frisky with TJ on the flop.

As for flop, if you have any good reads on the other 2 in the pot as calling stations and villian is apt to pot the flop after a raise you might consider using your good relative postion to get a big check raise in on the flop. If the other two are fit/fold types of course go with the lead, but just something to consider.

When leading I vote for a closer to pot-size bet, so if he raises it has to be bigger and then you can either 3-bet or lead the turn for a larger amount.

[/ QUOTE ]

I agree that the lead on flop should have been pot-sized, this is a leak of mine. And I also agree just pushing the the river is correct. It's just a reflex of mine to c/c when board 4-straights like this, but as you said a 9 is unlikely (as is 2 spades) and he might feel inclined to pay off w/ an over pair or 2-pair since the pot is so big.
Old 11-30-2005, 01:42 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Anyway, I bet $90 on turn, he called. River was the 7 , I checked with the intention of calling any bet, he checked behind w/ K K and MHIG.

[/ QUOTE ]

Easiest jam ever.
Old 11-30-2005, 01:47 PM

I feel like he's protecting his hand on the flop, so it's better to get more money in there (1: bet pot, if he raises, reraise; 2: bet big on turn and just *try* to get him committed for his whole stack).