Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Micro-Limits
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12-14-2005, 10:02 PM

Default JJ -- who else changes my river?

Really, suggested changes on any street are welcome, but I'm most upset with my river decisions.

First orbit, multi-tabling so I haven't payed attention to the first few hands. New site, so no PT stats.

Dealt to Hero in the CO J[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] J[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]
3 folds, MP2 calls, MP3 calls, <font color="red">Hero raises</font> , Button 3-bets, 2 folds, MP2 calls, MP3 calls, <font color="red">Hero calls</font>

I'm not a fan of capping JJ when OOP to 3-bettor. I think it's close, but won't argue against capping. I can't say I *never* do it.

*** FLOP *** (4 players, 13.5 SB) J[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] 3[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] 7[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]
3 checks, button bets, MP2 calls, MP3 calls, <font color="red">Hero raises</font>, 3 calls

Probably betting here would have been better, but, I haven't run into many 3-bettors that won't continue with position on the flop. So I risk the c/r hoping to face MP2 &amp; MP3 with 1 &amp; 1 rather than 2 cold.

*** TURN *** (4 players, 10.75 BBs) Q[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]
MP2 checks, MP3 bets, <font color="red">Hero raises</font>, Button 3-bets, MP2 calls, MP3 folds, <font color="red">Hero caps</font>, Button calls, MP2 calls

I don't want to take the chance that the button is scared by 3 players staying, so I skip the turn c/r and get the raise in now.

*** RIVER *** (3 players, 23.75 BBs) K[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]
MP2 bets, <font color="red">Hero calls</font>, Button raises, MP2 calls, <font color="red">Hero calls</font>

QQ is a possibility, but I'd only fear it from the button, who didn't 3-bet on the flop, so I discount that possibbility. So capping felt good to me.

Total pot 29.75 BBs

How would you play this river?
Old 12-14-2005, 10:08 PM

Default Re: JJ -- who else changes my river?

I had an almost identical hand last night.
I capped pf though, so buttons strength
seemed scarier. My callers (after I slowed
waaaay down on the river, which was also
a K) showed AK and AQ. Wish I capped
the turn and river now, but I rarely run into
people who cap with AK/AQ, so what the
hell could I have been ahead of??

You were braver than me on the turn, and since
you played it this way I like the river call in this
ginormous pot.

-ZEN
Old 12-15-2005, 01:18 AM

I cap that river.
Old 12-15-2005, 10:44 AM

[ QUOTE ]
I cap that river.

[/ QUOTE ]

Because MP2 just called the Button's raise so now you don't fear him, or just because you flopped top set?
Old 12-15-2005, 11:00 AM

I cap it because QQ or KK is so unlikely that the money you make here when you are up against the majority of hands you can beat will more than make up for the money you lose when you are up against those monsters. Other than that, what else has you beat? A straight? It's possible, but again, unlikely and I'd cap for the same reasons as QQ or KK.
Old 12-15-2005, 12:34 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
I cap that river.

[/ QUOTE ]

Because MP2 just called the Button's raise so now you don't fear him, or just because you flopped top set?

[/ QUOTE ]

Both, basically. Whatever he's got, the appearance of a king made him slow down. I don't think button would have been this passive with KK on that flop, either. I think our set is good. Hopefully AT would have gotten out on that flop action, but if not, I make a note for later.
Old 12-15-2005, 12:42 PM

*grunch*

I raise this river, and call a 3 bet. I think we're good here a significant amount of time, but the turn 3-bet has me suspicious, though I'd expect to see AQ more than QQ or the rivered straight. Everything else looks good to me...
Old 12-15-2005, 02:00 PM

*grunch*

I would have capped preflop.

On the river, the only hands that beat you are KK, QQ, and AT. AT doesn't make much sense given the action that took place.

I'd guess MP2 hit a king on the river because he was check calling all along and then bet the river. He might have made 2 pair there.

I'd put the button on an AQ or a KQ. If that's his holding, the preflop raises make sense. The flop bet/call makes sense too. Then on the turn, he comes to life making top pair. QQ also makes sense, but is less likely than AQ or KQ. So I'd say raise on the river given the size of the pot.
Old 12-15-2005, 02:26 PM

[ QUOTE ]
On the river, the only hands that beat you are KK, QQ, and AT. AT doesn't make much sense given the action that took place.

[/ QUOTE ]

Not true. Those are the only hands that beat me that you think makes sense given they are in the hand. Look harder, and maybe there are more that weren't correct on *every* street, but maybe on some.

[ QUOTE ]
I'd guess MP2 hit a king on the river because he was check calling all along and then bet the river. He might have made 2 pair there.

[/ QUOTE ]

I give about a 0% chance that MP2 spiked two pair with a K.

[ QUOTE ]
I'd put the button on an AQ or a KQ. If that's his holding, the preflop raises make sense. The flop bet/call makes sense too. Then on the turn, he comes to life making top pair. QQ also makes sense, but is less likely than AQ or KQ. So I'd say raise on the river given the size of the pot.

[/ QUOTE ]

I totally agree with this, which is why I didn't fear the button at any point in this hand (except maybe pre-flop by not capping out of position, which is not a huge mistake, if a mistake at all).
Old 12-15-2005, 02:27 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I raise this river, and call a 3 bet. I think we're good here a significant amount of time, but the turn 3-bet has me suspicious, though I'd expect to see AQ more than QQ or the rivered straight. Everything else looks good to me...

[/ QUOTE ]

This response seems to be geared towards the button. Do you fear MP2? Why or why not?