Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Tournament Poker > Multi-table Tournaments
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-17-2005, 02:37 AM

Default Stars 45k Question!!

If it matters here villan is thedonator. He's been playing pretty loose (won't post my bad beats here but he called me putting him all-in with no pair and a flush draw off the flop and also went in PF with A9o earlier) and then using the chips to steal blinds.

PokerStars No-Limit Hold'em Tourney, Big Blind is t800 (8 handed) FTR converter on zerodivide.cx

MP1 (t13125)
MP2 (t29525)
CO (t37665)
Button (t15580)
Hero (t24225)
BB (t12300)
UTG (t18370)
UTG+1 (t7310)

Preflop: Hero is SB with K[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img], Q[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img].
<font color="#666666">4 folds</font>, <font color="#CC3333">CO raises to t2500</font>, <font color="#666666">1 fold</font>, Hero calls t2100, <font color="#666666">1 fold</font>.

Flop: (t4950) T[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img], 5[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img], 5[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">Hero bets t3200</font>, CO calls t3200.

Turn: (t11350) J[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
Hero checks, CO checks.

River: (t11350) A[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">Hero bets t7500</font>, <font color="#CC3333">CO raises to t31915</font>, Hero calls t10975 (All-In).

Final Pot: t61740
Old 11-17-2005, 03:45 AM

Default Re: Stars 45k Question!!

If he had the flush, he played it beautifully. That however, has no bearing on your play. This hand is too good to fold to his river raise, your either doubling up or busting.

I put him on a two pair made on the river, that he wasn't scared to raise with because of your turn check, and the relatively hidden straight. Now that I'm thinking about it, maybe your the one who played it beautifully.

Result?
Old 11-17-2005, 04:47 AM

any other thoughts....specifically when do you bet the flop against a fairly loose opponent on a missed flop.
Old 11-17-2005, 07:28 AM

I think your flop bet was fine. You have two over cards so you can improve if he calls. You're right to check the turn to get a free card. As he seems loose he could be moving in on the river with a pair or two. Overall I think you did fine, and it's just unfortunate that he had the flush?
Old 11-17-2005, 11:02 AM

I can't seem to find a question in the post. Looks like a nice hand, you probably got outplayed, but not alot you can do on the river.
Old 11-17-2005, 12:11 PM

I dislike the flop bet a lot here. I'd also put some serious consideration into a re-steal PF given your read (and previous experience) on the villian. Good players know a flop like T55 are the kind that are frequently bluffed, and if you're looking to represent a T or a 5 you need to CR here. Betting out certainly doesn't represent a very strong hand. He's going to figure you for a medium pair, a flush draw, or air.

His flop call then check behind on the turn worries me a lot. If he had called the flop and planned on taking this pot away from you on the turn he probably would bet here. Since he called your flop bet then didn't bet when you showed weakness on the turn, I can only guess that he's hoping you'll catch up. Once you hit that river card though I think you're going to the felt.

I wouldn't at all be surprised to see him turn over a boat here though, although I have the benefit of knowing that you're probably only posting this hand because you lost it [img]/images/graemlins/frown.gif[/img]

Def rethink your flop bet here though. I like the call PF bet flop line on a lot of hands, but on this particular flop that play represents a very weak, scared hand and if I were the villian, I would seriously consider calling with any two to take this on the turn.

Coincidentally, this is also why ocasionally betting out a flop like this with TT or A5 will get you some action against a thinking player.

-Rizen