Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > General Poker Discussion > Poker Theory
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-14-2005, 10:20 PM

Default Re: Help understanding a concept...please?

that is totaly wrong you want to get it heads up when you have 2 aces especially in limit poker
the thing with those big hand is they usually win the small pots and lose the big ones
Old 07-15-2005, 01:43 AM

Location: seattle!!!__ too sunny to be in a cardroom....ahhh, one more hand

[ QUOTE ]
that is totaly wrong you want to get it heads up when you have 2 aces especially in limit poker

[/ QUOTE ]

This is a joke, right?

Actually, no, you don't. If you think it's "totally" wrong, you have some studying to do. Unfortunately, I'm too tired to start the 3000th thread on it.

b
Old 07-15-2005, 05:23 AM

HPFAP is pretty much a book about LHE, although some of the concepts probably carry over into NLHE.

The reason some hands play better in multiway pots is mostly that the hands are built on implied odds, such as small pocket pairs before the flop. The more people in the pot, the better your implied odds are obviously. I believe that is the main reason this is true. I think a second reason would be because hands that rarely flop top pair/good kicker but flop strong draws frequently, play better in multiway pots because they get better implied odds and because there is more cushion for them to draw than there would be if the hand were just HU.
Old 07-15-2005, 10:05 AM

in a multi way pot AA is going to have to improve to win usually to a set but with too many players in the pot it becomes likely that someone is going to make a set two pair a strait or a flush while you dont improve at all thats why you want to get it heads up with two aces
Old 07-15-2005, 10:21 AM

Some hands play better in multiway pots can mean two things. They prefer multiway pots or they require them. As someone pointed out this is all to do with implied odds. Something to keep in mind here especially in NL is that it's the implied odds that's the key factor more than the amount of people in the pot, although they generally are related. At one table it may be correct to play a low pair against a couple of freaks, whereby at another it may not be even though there's more people in the hand if they're all rocks.

There's a whole lot of stuff in HFAP that applies to both NL and limit. And this is definitely one of them.

As for the discussion on aces you should want this multiway whether it's limit or NL. There's quite a bit of misunderstanding of the EV of these things and most of it comes from people who have a stronger preference for winning hands than making money [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img] We won't get into that today though [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

KC
Old 07-15-2005, 11:20 AM

[ QUOTE ]
in a multi way pot AA is going to have to improve to win usually to a set but with too many players in the pot it becomes likely that someone is going to make a set two pair a strait or a flush while you dont improve at all thats why you want to get it heads up with two aces

[/ QUOTE ]

That's not true. All people entering a pot adds "all in" EV for the guy holding AA.

There are additional things that need to be considered though:

* Every player who stays in adds variance.

* Playing the aces extracting maximum EV gets more and more difficult with every player who stays in. Misplaying aces badly might transform them from positive EV to negative EV.
Old 07-15-2005, 11:34 AM

drawing hands like suited connectors, Axs, Kxs and small PP's, profit more in multiway pots, rather than heads-up or isolated pots, because they require the correct amount of pot odds in order for the play (call or raise) to be correct.
For example if im holding Axs Im looking at 8 to 1 to hit my nut flush draw, if the pot is not laying you at least something close (6.5 to 1 or better)than playing would be incorrect. How I grounded this concept into my brain is by repeating over and over that drawing hands need more help from the board than my big pairs and big broadway suited cards, therefore I need the right situation to be involved.
the size of the pot should be the number one determining factor in whether you should play a hand - from Ed Miller's SSHE
Old 07-15-2005, 02:52 PM

[ QUOTE ]
As for the discussion on aces you should want this multiway whether it's limit or NL. There's quite a bit of misunderstanding of the EV of these things and most of it comes from people who have a stronger preference for winning hands than making money We won't get into that today though

[/ QUOTE ]

Yep, it's been proven on here time and again, usually about every 3-4 months how yo umake more with more players against aces. You're right, it's about making money, not just getting a hand to hold up.

b
Old 07-15-2005, 02:54 PM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

You do not want to get it HU with aces. You make more longrun-wise when more people see the flop against your aces even though it doesn't hold up as much.

Welcome all callers with open arms.

b
Old 07-15-2005, 03:41 PM

I'm a browser form Mid-High NLHE and thought I'd share some of my findings with you. In NLHE the anwer to everything is "it depends". Since everything is so situation dependent it would be difficult to write a book that gives specific advice, hence so few books on the subject. Limit, with it's rigid structure, is a much easier topic to write about (and sell). There is very little in that book that applies to NLHE.