Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Pot-, No-Limit Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-15-2005, 04:52 AM

Default Re: Would you think about calling here?

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
He checkraises you all-in, you have nothing ... and you want to call ?
It dont much matter what limit it is or if he has a str8 draw or not - you cant call.

[/ QUOTE ]

What do you mean it doesn't matter if he has a straight draw or not? He shows you QT and you fold?
My point is just that I don't see many hands besides a straight draw playing it this way. What other hands do you think would check-raise all-in for a substantial overbet on this rainbow flop?

[/ QUOTE ]

Because you cant call regardless of what he has. You are either a really really tiny favourite (str8 draw has lots and lots of outs against your A-high), or you are facing a made hand and you are a monster underdog.

Why would you get your money in when you are a very very small favourite or a big dog ?

Very very bad in NL.

Obviously if he shows you his hand then you can call if you are the favourite - but given that he could easily have a strong made hand here - you have to fold (even a weak made hand and you have to fold.
Old 07-15-2005, 04:59 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
He checkraises you all-in, you have nothing ... and you want to call ?
It dont much matter what limit it is or if he has a str8 draw or not - you cant call.

[/ QUOTE ]

What do you mean it doesn't matter if he has a straight draw or not? He shows you QT and you fold?
My point is just that I don't see many hands besides a straight draw playing it this way. What other hands do you think would check-raise all-in for a substantial overbet on this rainbow flop?

[/ QUOTE ]

Because you cant call regardless of what he has. You are either a really really tiny favourite (str8 draw has lots and lots of outs against your A-high), or you are facing a made hand and you are a monster underdog.

Why would you get your money in when you are a very very small favourite or a big dog ?

Very very bad in NL.

Obviously if he shows you his hand then you can call if you are the favourite - but given that he could easily have a strong made hand here - you have to fold (even a weak made hand and you have to fold.

[/ QUOTE ]

I understand these concepts...all I'm saying is that in this particular spot, it doesn't seem to me like I'm far behind his range of hands -- if at all. Yes I'm only 60/40 against a straight draw and 25/75 against say 88, but the straight draw seems to me even more likely than card probability would indicate, and that already makes it a bunch more likely than a medium pair. With AJ I think he re-raises preflop. With KJ and QJ and JT I just don't see him check-raising all-in. So that leaves a medium pair a straight draw or a set. I guess I'm underestimating the likelihood of him having a set?
Old 07-15-2005, 06:12 AM

Allin3high nailed this one for you. Considering a call here is not a profitable approach to no limit cash games. If he is semi bluffing here he wins the pot. You make a mental note of him pushing and track the frequency of him doing so. If he is doing this regularly there will be much better places for you to call. You will also be able to induce bluffs by checking your good hands to him.

You do not have a good read, fold. Patience is key. Blinds are not escalating here you are not under pressure to win this pot or the next pot, etc. You want to get your money in when you are pretty certain you have the best hand.

After getting a better read on the guy, if he is making moves regularly, you still want top pair before snapping off a bluff. And you want to make sure no one is left to act behind you.

I have been playing no limit cash games for a couple years. I do not call with A high. I do not need to. I call all in's when I am setting a trap with a monster. I do not call all in's with AK preflop. You came here asking for advice. Pay heed to the advice you got or proceed at your own peril.
Old 07-15-2005, 07:27 AM

Have you considered the possibility that he might be holding J 9 suited? Then the all in would make quite a lot sense since the range of cards he might put you on includes overpairs AA-QQ, AJ, some other A+big, or some underpair holding. Since the J 9 two pair is quite vulnerable to drawouts against overpairs he might as well shove it in to protect his hand, especially if you're prone to call him down with less than a set.