Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Tournament Poker > Multi-table Tournaments
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-21-2005, 02:57 PM

Default Help me fix a hole in my tournament play

100€ rebuy(1) satellite tournament for EPT london
~160 players, ~6 get the seat
I make my rebuy at the beginning as usual but blow it away when my QQ bumps into KK on a KQ2-flop so i might even be tilting from there, can't tell for sure...

The villain in the following hand has shown to be a complete donkey, playing every hand and calling every raise in more or less "any ace, any face"-mode. But he has catched some nice flops and made his stack well above the avg.
I have been able to rise my stack from the 4000 after the blow to ~5500 just by stealing, when avg is running away from me with ~7000 and blinds are 75/150, no ante.
So i think i have to make a some kind of move soon that im not too much behind.
To the hand:

Hero ~5500
Villain ~8500

Blinds 75/150

Hero is dealt 9 [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]9 [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]

All fold to villain in MP who limps, all fold to hero.

Hero raises to 1500
Villain Calls

Flop (Pot ~3000)
Q [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]Q [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]J [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]

Hero pushes

So my thought process through the hand was to make a raise big enough to get villain out of his trashy hands(if possible), or in the worst case call an all-in, and if cold called, push any flop.

Now here comes the real question:
I find myself very often in those situations where i still have a nice stack counted by the M-factor, but the avg. is running away and i feel opted to make a move soon. So are plays like that just donkishly too aggressive and stupid when i could patiently wait for a monster for many orbits and double up to get to the avg or is it better to try to play aggressively in the early-mid-stages of tournament to keep up with the big stacks. I know it depends, but would like to know how you others do it...=)

Any comments about the actual hand or my question in general are greatly appreciated.

Saku
Old 09-21-2005, 03:04 PM

Default Re: Help me fix a hole in my tournament play

[ QUOTE ]
my stack ~5500
avg is running away from me with ~7000
blinds are 75/150, no ante.
So i think i have to make a some kind of move soon

[/ QUOTE ]

The hole in your tournament play is that you managed to panic because you 'only' have 40 BB.
Old 09-21-2005, 03:07 PM

what adanthar said, don't worry about the average much..

when you havea good M and the average gets a lot higher than your stack.. that just usuaally means when you make a hand, you won't have too much trouble getting paid off, cause you're so 'small'.
Old 09-21-2005, 03:26 PM

Location: Hurricanes, animal corpses and your potential new tattoo have a lot in common. Think about it.

Are you afraid you can't outplay someone that you've identified as a 'complete donkey'? The 10x raise is pretty awful.
Old 09-21-2005, 03:39 PM

Yeah I was gonna say... start by making a much smaller raise.
Old 09-21-2005, 04:44 PM

Remember that M is the stronger of the two driving forces and it's generally stated that when it is over 20 you don't have to panic. Your M was fine. Q shouldn't be driving your decisions over M, especially with a push against a board where you are WA/WB. The reason for a push is so you can see all cards to the river. What are you hoping to catch that can beat hands that villain would call with?

After this flop the only hands that are going to call your push are ones that beat you. At this point you still don't know where you stand as your huge preflop raise was called by someone OOP. You definitely need to consider that villain called a raise of 10xBB and he could have just about any holding preflop. Because of your read on him, narrowing him down to a range becomes almost impossible. You are behind against a large number of all hands that can be dealt - AA-TT (30), Qx (156), Jx(156) which constitutes about 30% of all possible holdings. Against that range of holdings you will only win about 10% of the time. Is it at all likely that villain will have one of these hands? Sure, about 30% of the time!

I think a continuation bet of about 1/2 - 2/3 the pot size would be more correct here. If he hits you with a re-raise it's easy to lay down and you still have T2500 to try and rebuild.

As others have stated, your preflop raise was much too high. If you had only raised about 4xBB to 600 you would be looking at a much smaller pot where your continuation bet will be under 1k. The way you put in a raise of 10xBB you're driving up the pot unnecessarily, requiring you to commit way more than you need to for a continuation bet on the flop. This results in you investing half of your stack into a pot that you're not even sure to win - and at that point if you're reraised it's either all-in or fold. If you pick the latter you now have less than half the stack you started with when you could be in a much better position by simply having made a smaller preflop raise.
Old 09-21-2005, 05:17 PM

I don't mean to derail the thread, but what are M and Q?
Old 09-21-2005, 05:52 PM

What others have said. 1st, your raise was too big. With your 99 you probably have the best hand at the moment. You really don't want to see a flop as it is highly likely to bring one or two high cards and you may have a tough decision. A raise to 4-6x the BB is sufficient for your purposes. If villan is going to fold to a raise, he'll fold to that raise. If he isn't going to fold to a raise, adding 3 more BB to your raise isn't helping your cause.

The flop push is terrible. I see donk moves like this all the time in lower level tourneys. Would you push in this spot if you really had a Q? Unlikely. Do you think the push will make your opponent think you had a Q? Unlikely. It is a desperation move.

Leading out on the flop with a bet of a little less than 1/2 the pot is the right move. If you get called you are likely done with the hand. Hopefully you'll be able to check it down or see showdown calling a small bet. If you hadn't raise so much preflop, the lead out bet wouldn't cost you nearly as much either.

You had chips and you have room to make some moves. You had no reason to panic.
Good luck winning a satellite to London. I think I'm going to try a satellite to the London event this weekend at Stars. I'm already entered in the $380 Baden satellite for this weekend.

Old 09-21-2005, 05:54 PM

"M" is the number of orbits your stack can last through the current blind levels - at 100/200 blinds with no ante and a stack of 6000 you are considered to have exactly 20M.

"Q" is the size of your stack in relation to the average stack size in the tournament. If the average stack size is 10k and you have 5k you would be considered as having .5Q. If you had 20k in that same scenario you would have 2Q.

For better explanations of these read Harrington on Hold 'em Vol I.
Old 09-21-2005, 06:03 PM

[ QUOTE ]
For better explanations of these read Harrington on Hold 'em Vol I and II.

[/ QUOTE ]FYP