Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Mid-, High-Stakes Pot- and No-Limit Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-28-2005, 04:50 AM

Default A series of 10/20 hands against the same villain....(long)

I think posting these together as a series is better than individually since they all occured within an hour one right after the other... Most of the time he had about 3k and I covered.

Game is playing pretty tag preflop (7 handed), not too much limping. I'm kinda playing table captain, but a number of solid longtime prima players are sitting/playing, so it's not like I'm running the show (i.e. anrik, winslowlee, someone else I can't remember), but a lot of them are rocks. Anyway, these all toook place against Very_Fishy, who seems pretty tight preflop, his real raises are real hands, his minraises aren't. He has been playing pretty conservatively and not getting out of line at all. His play was generally solid though maybe a little weak at times.

Anyway, here we go:

1 limper, Fishy makes it 80, 2 callers, and I call out of the BB with 97 (not hearts).

Flop comes T85 (2 hearts)

Fishy bets 240, folded to me, I call. Heads up.

Turn 9 hearts

I was planning to check-raise this turn if he bet, but he didn't.

River 8d

I lead for 600 into an 800 pot. He hesitates, thinks, and calls.

He types in aftewards if I had gone all in he wouldn't have called.

My thoughts: I tried to represent the missed turn check-raise with a flush by firing out on the river, meh?

A few hands later:

He minraises, I call out of the sb with KQo (I don't normally call raises oop with KQo, but I'm ahead of a large range of hands he is doing this with, the problem is that I don't know what on any given flop.)

Flop comes AT9r

I check/call 80

Turn 3 (2 diamonds)

I lead for 160, he calls.

River Qc

I check/call 300.

A few hands later:

I raise with AJs utg to 80. I have been raising with a variety of hands, none have really made it past the flop, cause I'm either called in 1 or 2 spots and I continuation bet. I can feel that someone is waiting to make a move agaisnt me.

Flop J95r

I check, he checks

Turn T (I pick up a heart draw)

I bet 120, he minraises, I call.

River 9c

He bets 500, I call.

A few small pots go back and forth, and I make the commment that I can't seem to beat him, and say how he should play every hand against me regardless, cause he will win. I realize things like this shouldn't be said at the table. But at the current moment, I was winning almost every hand against everyone else, and losing every hand against him.
I also say this hoping he will over compensate in a big pot based on my feelings, but this is probably a bit of a stretch.

Anyway, a few more hands and:

I open for 80 with AcKc, fishy and anrik call.

Flop comes 763r

Anrik checks, I bet 160, fishy minraises, anrik folds, I call.

Turn 8

I lead for 400.

My logic is that with my aggressive raising he is doing this to slow me down, or make me fold overcards, if he called the 400 I was going to check/fold any river unless I hit my K or A. Is this bad? Since he will probably bet every non A/K river when I check to him except when he can beat TPTK, then he will bet. I don't know if I have the sack/read yet to lead into him again on the river if it's irrelevant. So this means I'm always losing on the river, right?

Thanks.
Old 07-28-2005, 05:42 AM

Default Re: A series of 10/20 hands against the same villain....(long)

I only play $2/$5, but here's my thoughts. Feel free to disect or disrespect.

Hand 1

To bluff the turn I would lead out. A conservative player won't bet the turn here very often, so a checkraise is out.

If he calls I would lead a non-heart river, as he probably has to fold, if he is tight.

Hand 2

I wouldn't play KQ OOP, even if you think you are ahead you'll have a tough time turning a profit with it.

I don't make many tricky plays like this (calling and leading a gutshot) but I think you should fold the river. I don't see you winning here often enough.

Hand 3

This is how I would have played it, seeing that you checked the flop. Why not make your standard continuation with TPTK?

Hand 4

I agree with your analysis of the river situation, you will just lose more money if an A/K comes and he bets.

I normally just concede to the flop raise, but I guess this is pretty weak and you have to play more aggro at these stakes.
Old 07-28-2005, 02:43 PM

No love from anyone else huh? Guess these were boring....
Old 07-28-2005, 03:06 PM

Hand 1 villian can discard all your made-on-flop hand range when you check the turn and there arent a whole lot of possibilities for a heart flush given that you'd probably fire the turn with a small flush. And if he has the A[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] its an easy call. If you fire the turn he cant raise for most of his range and you have all sorts of hidden outs and a load more bluff equity on the river.
Old 07-28-2005, 03:41 PM

Hand 1, what are you doing taking a pocketknife like 97o into a gunfight? You say his raises represent real hands...

Once you call with an obvious draw, you have to represent the obvious draw when it hits... I like the river bet.

Hand 2 I woulda check/folded on the flop. The way you played it, I don't see how you can call on the river unless you put him on specifically diamonds.

Hand 3, the minraise sucks for you. What are his minraise standards? I think once you get minraised you're drawing and should fold unimproved.

I tend not to like the flop check bc of KQ possibilities on the turn. Check is fine with one over but not with two IMO.

Hand 4, it doesn't seem like this guy is making any laydowns. Why keep hammering at him with nothing, no draw? He's got to have you pegged as a bluffer at this point, so he'll call down with a lot of crap here.
Old 07-28-2005, 03:49 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Hand 1, what are you doing taking a pocketknife like 97o into a gunfight? You say his raises represent real hands...

[/ QUOTE ]

Trying to gut someone. Given the stack sizes and the two other calls before me, I thought it was ok...

[ QUOTE ]
Hand 2 I woulda check/folded on the flop. The way you played it, I don't see how you can call on the river unless you put him on specifically diamonds.

[/ QUOTE ]

I think my KQ is good. I don't think he has an ace, and I think he will try and bluff at this pot, so I check/call I put him on a spec. hand that may or may not have hit a pair or two, but I don't think he has the ace.

[ QUOTE ]
Hand 3, the minraise sucks for you. What are his minraise standards? I think once you get minraised you're drawing and should fold unimproved.

[/ QUOTE ]

Dead-accurate.

[ QUOTE ]
Hand 4, it doesn't seem like this guy is making any laydowns. Why keep hammering at him with nothing, no draw? He's got to have you pegged as a bluffer at this point, so he'll call down with a lot of crap here.

[/ QUOTE ]

He has me pegged as a flop better. I have an aggressive image but not a crazy bluffing image.
Old 07-28-2005, 03:56 PM

[ QUOTE ]

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Trying to gut someone. Given the stack sizes and the two other calls before me, I thought it was ok...

[/ QUOTE ]

whats not to like about 97o? It can make a straight, two pair, trips, quads, a flush, and straight flush.
Old 07-28-2005, 04:06 PM

[ QUOTE ]

whats not to like about 97o? It can make a straight, two pair, trips, quads, a flush, and straight flush.

[/ QUOTE ]

and there's always 9 high to fall back on
Old 07-28-2005, 04:09 PM

Hand 1) I put him on JJ or a better overpair w/a heart when he checks turn. You've played with him, so it's an issue of what he will call with those hands on the river.

Hand 2) I don't think you have the implied odds for the times you hit your gutshot here (I mean theoretically you do with stack sizes but he hasn't shown he likes his hand all that much), and I don't think times you hit a pair are good often enough to call flop. But it's close IMO. Turn is fine if you don't put him on an ace, river is also fine given how you played the flop & turn.

Hand 3) Can't fold turn with the heart draw, but TPTK is not the best hand. Fold on river.

Hand 4) I think this turn bet is pure spew. What does he minraise with here? I hate folding to flop minraises but it's probably correct here.
Old 07-28-2005, 04:11 PM

Guys,

2 other callers before me, the shortest caller had 120xBB behind, fishy had 150, I covered. I really don't think this is THAT bad of a call. I'm more likely to play something like this than KJo, so I'm not a total donk, right?