Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Mid-, High-Stakes Pot- and No-Limit Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-07-2005, 12:11 PM

Default 2-4 Hands. poor played?

Hand 1. Hero has a laggy image, Villian is an unknown but has raised/bet a lot of pots. 4 handed.

Hero has A9, 9 of hearts, on Button. Villian is in BB.

Hero raises to 14 preflop. VIllian calls

(pot 34) Flop: AQ8, 3 hearts. VIllian checks. Hero bets 25. Villian raises to 60. Hero Calls.

Turn: (pot 154) A spades. Villian checks, Hero checks.

River: 4 clubs. Villian checks. Hero bets 100. Villian raises to 200. Hero calls. Should I have not bet this river??? What reasons should I not bet this river. I was aiming for Villian to make a "big call" with a Q or worse in this spot but when I got raised, there was too mcuh money in the pot for me to fold, or should I have just folded quickly.

Villain showed AQ
Old 08-07-2005, 01:09 PM

Default Re: 2-4 Hands. poor played?

I see nothing wrong with the way you played this hand, it just plays itself. It would be silly to check the river after villan checks twice. You must call the river min raise as well, often enough it would be a semi bluff with something like KQ. This hand sucks for you, but thats poker.
Old 08-07-2005, 01:20 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Hand 1. Hero has a laggy image, Villian is an unknown but has raised/bet a lot of pots. 4 handed.

Hero has A9, 9 of hearts, on Button. Villian is in BB.

Hero raises to 14 preflop. VIllian calls

(pot 34) Flop: AQ8, 3 hearts. VIllian checks. Hero bets 25. Villian raises to 60. Hero Calls.

Turn: (pot 154) A spades. Villian checks, Hero checks.

River: 4 clubs. Villian checks. Hero bets 100. Villian raises to 200. Hero calls. Should I have not bet this river??? What reasons should I not bet this river. I was aiming for Villian to make a "big call" with a Q or worse in this spot but when I got raised, there was too mcuh money in the pot for me to fold, or should I have just folded quickly.

Villain showed AQ

[/ QUOTE ]

There are 2 mistakes in this hand. First, you either fold after being raised on the flop, or you reraise, or you call and plan to bet pot if villian checks to you on the turn. I would very seriously consider folding here since villian could have any number of hands, and yours is too tempting to stack off with in -EV situations (i.e. unimproved A or flush with the 9).

I think betting this river is Ok, but you need to think hard about folding to the raise, even though you are getting good odds to call. The only thing you are beating here is a pure bluff.

Marlow
Old 08-07-2005, 01:24 PM

I think betting this river is Ok, but you need to think hard about folding to the raise, even though you are getting good odds to call. The only thing you are beating here is a pure bluff.

Marlow

[/ QUOTE ]

I dont agree with this at all. They are playing 4 handed and people make moves all the time. I can easily see villan having a Q K [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] here and decided hero was weak.
Old 08-07-2005, 01:40 PM

Villian has K[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]Qx here about 1% of the time.

Villian is much more likely to be on a bluff than to have that hand, or a similar hand.

And I just don't see people check/minraising the river on bluffs.
Old 08-07-2005, 01:53 PM

Especially at 2-4, I'd say a very large percentage of river checkraises are with extremely strong hands.
Old 08-07-2005, 06:58 PM

[ QUOTE ]

Marlow

[/ QUOTE ]

I dont agree with this at all. They are playing 4 handed and people make moves all the time. I can easily see villan having a Q K [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] here and decided hero was weak.

[/ QUOTE ]

There's very little chance that an aggro player would min chkrse river with a hand as weak as KQ with a busted draw.

I really think that it's a losing proposition to go around thinking you're always being bluffed. Just because people do it a lot in a 4-handed game, doesn't mean that villian is on a bluff in this hand. In fact, I can't think of a single bigger leak in a NL game than constantly suspecting that your opponents are on a steal.

On the flop and turn, Hero has a weak Ace and a weak flush draw. All he wants to do it get to a cheap showdown or take it away on flop or turn if he can. Hero's weak play on the turn pretty well tells his opponent that he doesn't have a strong made hand. So yes, villian could be on a bluff here, but in my experience people just don't min-chkrse for $100 in a 2/4 game (short or not).
Old 08-07-2005, 10:56 PM

how does the combination of my willingness to call a river bet, bet if checked to, and unclear situation with my hand affect my turn play?
Old 08-08-2005, 11:41 AM

anyone else?